Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dark Souls III
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 07:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Dark Souls III

Dark Souls III is the fourth entry in the Souls franchise (with Demon's Souls being the spiritual predecessor to the series). There are many references to the previous entries scattered throughout the game, such as old NPCs, familiar places and items, and so on.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by czarman on 13 May 2016, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Dark Souls III
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 20:59 

I've been seeing users banned for using overlays and basically anything that edits the games files. What's your experience with using this mod and the softbans being handed out lately. I would love to give it a shot.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 07:14 

dreamsforgotten wrote:
I've been seeing users banned for using overlays and basically anything that edits the games files. What's your experience with using this mod and the softbans being handed out lately. I would love to give it a shot.

The difference is overlays, and video capture software is all third party software. Also the game edits that people are getting rapped on the knuckles for are changing gameplay elements. Like giving yourself unlimited souls or adding item stacks you didn't get by playing. In other words anything you can do that gives yourself an advantage or the ability to grief other players. The soft bans are ALWAYS triggered from people that edit their save files or have another program running that hooks in to the game process somewhere. From Software has always had this same type of system.

The fix for Surround/Eyefinity and 21:9 only edit a single variable in the .exe itself. So it isn't a separate program running or doing anything that modifies the gameplay in any way. The second change in the game XML settings file isn't doing anything the game itself can't do from inside the options menu. Making the .xml file read only doesn't affect anything either, it simply stops the settings from changing back to Fullscreen instead of WINDOW when you hit Alt+Enter to go into Fullscreen. Otherwise every time you close the game you would have to go back to windowed first. You are allowed to edit resolution and graphics settings manually without repercussions. The game actually isn't capable of knowing it was ever touched, that isn't something it looks at. Even if any of the syntax or settings are wrong it will just overwrite anything that isn't a real value, and either erase or ignore any other lines it doesn't recognize.

tldr: this won't trigger a soft ban.

One last thing. The last two games in the series actually did have fixes that were from a third party program. They didn't cause bans either, From Software doesn't check or flag changes to the renderer itself. It also doesn't appear to even scan for changes in the memory at all. Many people here, myself included, have played hundreds of hours of each game DS1,DS2, and now DS3. In all these years there hasn't ever been someone who was banned from any version of the fixes we've had in any version or patch of the games.

Matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate case of someone getting banned when using the two programs we all use for other games either. Those two programs being Flawless Widescreen, and Widecreen Fixer. Both of which are made from users from this forum. I hope this helps in some way.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 14:53 

Peer_Review wrote:
dreamsforgotten wrote:

The difference is overlays, and video capture software is all third party software. Also the game edits that people are getting rapped on the knuckles for are changing gameplay elements. Like giving yourself unlimited souls or adding item stacks you didn't get by playing. In other words anything you can do that gives yourself an advantage or the ability to grief other players. The soft bans are ALWAYS triggered from people that edit their save files or have another program running that hooks in to the game process somewhere. From Software has always had this same type of system.

The fix for Surround/Eyefinity and 21:9 only edit a single variable in the .exe itself. So it isn't a separate program running or doing anything that modifies the gameplay in any way. The second change in the game XML settings file isn't doing anything the game itself can't do from inside the options menu. Making the .xml file read only doesn't affect anything either, it simply stops the settings from changing back to Fullscreen instead of WINDOW when you hit Alt+Enter to go into Fullscreen. Otherwise every time you close the game you would have to go back to windowed first. You are allowed to edit resolution and graphics settings manually without repercussions. The game actually isn't capable of knowing it was ever touched, that isn't something it looks at. Even if any of the syntax or settings are wrong it will just overwrite anything that isn't a real value, and either erase or ignore any other lines it doesn't recognize.

tldr: this won't trigger a soft ban.

One last thing. The last two games in the series actually did have fixes that were from a third party program. They didn't cause bans either, From Software doesn't check or flag changes to the renderer itself. It also doesn't appear to even scan for changes in the memory at all. Many people here, myself included, have played hundreds of hours of each game DS1,DS2, and now DS3. In all these years there hasn't ever been someone who was banned from any version of the fixes we've had in any version or patch of the games.

Matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate case of someone getting banned when using the two programs we all use for other games either. Those two programs being Flawless Widescreen, and Widecreen Fixer. Both of which are made from users from this forum. I hope this helps in some way.

Explains a lot. I appreciate you taking the time. I have played DS1 using DSFix the entire time. I never modded DS2 but decided to try last week. I downloaded Flawless Widescreen and it gave me a warning saying the injection method used would most likely lead to a ban and suggested I not proceed. I didn't.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 11:10 
Insiders
Insiders

I updated the Report with Kaldaiens Souls "Unsqueezed" FIX

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 12:02 

So I have been waiting for this game to go on sale and it finally did. Tried the Unsqueezed fix and can't get the .exe to run for some reason. Also tried the Hex Editor but still get black side screens but the center monitor has the correct FOV so it looks weird as hell (may have to revert it to original). What else could I do?

Titan X 4 Way SLI
8x8 64Gb 2666 Corsair Elite
2x Custom EK Loop on All Cards, Mobo, CPU
3x Phillips 272G5DYEB GSync
+ Asus VE228H
Corsair AX1500i + HX1000i (2500W)
2x Samsung 850 EVO Pro 1TB
2X WD Black 4 TB (8TB)
3x Asus 12B1ST ROM Drives
38 Fans, 5 Fan Controllers
4 x 60mm of Radiators
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/XtM8TW

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 14:11 
Insiders
Insiders

I tried the HEX Solution - and its still working.....for me.The Alternative is the MOD Souls Unsqueezed witch is updated to v0.3.4 --> https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/d ... 807728012/

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 17:23 

czarman wrote:
I tried the HEX Solution - and its still working.....for me.The Alternative is the MOD Souls Unsqueezed witch is updated to v0.3.4 --> https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/d ... 807728012/

How did you do the Hex Edit Exactly? I did it with MGSV and it ran great. DSIII has multiples of the same code line and I tried to change them all to no avail. Also the DST.exe thing never opened for me for some reason.

Edit: Got DST.exe running and it worked did it's thing but now I try to open the game and a sound goes off then it closes. Also, why does it try to run in Windowed mode? Can I not do fullscreen?

Edit Edit: Got the game running using the HX Edit/.ini fix but it has to start in Windowed and Alt+Enter and good to go. NOW, how the F do I uncap the FPS and remove the built in VSync deal? I have GSync Surround which is far superior...

Titan X 4 Way SLI
8x8 64Gb 2666 Corsair Elite
2x Custom EK Loop on All Cards, Mobo, CPU
3x Phillips 272G5DYEB GSync
+ Asus VE228H
Corsair AX1500i + HX1000i (2500W)
2x Samsung 850 EVO Pro 1TB
2X WD Black 4 TB (8TB)
3x Asus 12B1ST ROM Drives
38 Fans, 5 Fan Controllers
4 x 60mm of Radiators
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/XtM8TW