Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Army Men: RTS
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 04:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported
4k Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - Army Men: RTS

Real-time strategy entry in the Army Men video game series.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by Garrett on 15 Mar 2018, 01:36, edited 6 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Army Men: RTS
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2016, 11:49 
Editors
Editors

By far my favourite Army Men game. It's so sad that this and Dark Reign 2 never got their widescreen patch or HD revival. All it takes is a talented guy with a personal interest, but games that fall short of greatness... built on code that's no fun to fix... Poor things, they just don't stand a chance.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 10:42 

The game is programmed to display only the first 22 available (11 16bit and 11 32bit) resolutions in the options menu, that is why you end up with 1280x1024 being the largest available. There is even a setting in the config file ModeCount0(22), but changing the value doesn't do anything :roll:

Some guy on GOG said forcing resolution using dgVoodoo works, and I can confirm that. But he forgot to mention you control the aspect ratio by setting the resolution in the options menu. Then I thought "If I would make a small custom ultra-widescreen resolution like 1280x540 in Radeon settings then it would be listed among those first 22". And it worked, you can play in ultra-widescreen too :D

And the best part is; the game is rendered at resolution you force using dgVoodoo, but the menus and in game interface are rendered based on the resolution you set in the options menu, which means menus and interface scale up properly and are not tiny on high resolutions. You can play at 1440p or 4K, no problem :thumbup:

The game is Hor+, in-game cutscenes too, menus and interface have proper aspect ratio, only the intro videos and the background image in the main menu are stretched.

4:3 - dgVoodoo 1440x1080 - game options 1024x768

16:9 - dgVoodoo 1920x1080 - game options 1280x720

21:9 - dgVoodoo 1920x810 - game options 1280x540 (custom resolution added in AMD Radeon display settings)

I don't know how to format the posted images nicely like the first post above, looks weird this way :/

SHORT VERSION:
- force your desired resolution using dgVoodoo (DirectX tab)
- use the available resolutions in game options menu to set the proper aspect ratio
- if you want ultra-widescreen use the AMD Radeon/Nvidia control panel to make a custom resolution smaller than 1280x1024 (like 1280x540), so it can be selected in the game options menu for the proper aspect ratio

Bonus:
If the game freezes when changing in-game resolution; in compatibility settings disable desktop composition and visual themes.
If you hate LOD switching during gameplay you can open ...\Army Men RTS\library\engine\detail.cfg and increase the value MrmDist(50).

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 13:23 
Editors
Editors

Holy greenery, thank you for that !

The first post was generated automagically from the Detailed Report form, can't match that with simple formatting, but don't worry. Your screenies are beautiful and so are you !

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2017, 11:09 

Thanks, I guess :)

I was curious and tried this same method on other games and it works. Starship Troopers Terran Ascendancy had very small GUI already at 1080p, but selecting a smaller resolution in game options and forcing the higher resolution in dgvoodoo makes the interface scale up nicely same as here. The same works for Vietnam Black Ops. I was not aware of this feature. Tiny HUD/interface was a big issue in many games on higher resolutions, so this find is great for me.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2018, 18:31 
Editors
Editors

Returning to the DR... Nice update but could you please attach the savegame you used for the gameplay comparison ? It's not the default position at the beginning of that mission so it's hard for other people (me) to contribute good 4K/MM screenies. I can already confirm support for 3440x1440 (using 1280x536 for the UI), so check that box and have a ball !

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 05:52 

scavvenjahh wrote:
Returning to the DR... Nice update but could you please attach the savegame you used for the gameplay comparison ? It's not the default position at the beginning of that mission so it's hard for other people (me) to contribute good 4K/MM screenies. I can already confirm support for 3440x1440 (using 1280x536 for the UI), so check that box and have a ball !

If you are referring to me, I didn't make a save at that exact spot since I only needed one screenshot, and angle is not really perfect. What is DR ?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 14:06 
Editors
Editors

Detailed Report... Nevermind then.