Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 15:40 

==Game Information==

Spore is an life/evolution/existence simulator designed by Will Wright and Maxis studios. This is based on the demo of the retail purchase demo/standalone creature creator (your choice, depending on whether or not you want to feel like EA is boning you. At least they're giving a discount on the full game, I have to give them that much, even if it is only through Amazon and Target).

==Version==

Free Creature Creator Trial Edition
http://www.spore.com/trial

==Method==

Native widescreen support based on resolution.

==Screen change==

All rendered elements Vert- and the view is obviously designed with 4:3 in mind. 2D elements (loading screens etc.) stretch with 4:3 as the base.

4:3 gameplay screenshot:

16:10

16:9

Main Menu

4:3

Loading screens

==Supported resolutions==

List of widescreen resolutions the game successfully ran at:

1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200.

List of widescreen resolutions that were not tested:

List of widescreen resolutions the game fails to run at:

==Singleplayer anomalies==

Any videos taken while in widescreen modes are stretched to 4:3. Pictures taken in widescreen modes are saved with proper AR, but are stretched to 4:3 when displayed in the game.

==Multiplayer support==

The multiplayer in Spore revolves around content sharing (creatures, pictures, video, etc.). As mentioned under Singleplayer anomalies, any videos taken while in widescreen modes are stretched to 4:3. Pictures taken in widescreen modes are saved with proper AR, but are stretched to 4:3 when displayed in the game.

==Aspect ratio support==

16:9 is Vert- compared to 16:10

==HUD stretch==

The HUD does not stretch

==Cut-scenes==

None in demo

==Grading==

Calculated grade: C+
Potential grade:

Major unresolved issues:

None

Summary of widescreen-related flaws:
Picture and video content created while in widescreen modes is stretched to 4:3, rendered elements are Vert-

Cranky's coverage estimate:
94%

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 16:31 

Ooooh, ahhhh. :D

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 20:38 

I just tried it out...I don't know if I'll be able to resist not spending 9.99 for the editor in a few days since the game isn't coming out until September. It's so fun! :shock:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 19:59 

I don't know if this matters here or not (it does to me) but vSync cannot be enabled. Even if forced on by GPU drivers, there is obvious tearing if you try spinning the Galaxy map. I fear the final engine may not support vSync, which would look awful for us LCD widescreeners.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 21:56 
Editors
Editors

Reminds me of moments of pure fun toying with cartoonish human faces with the editor for The Sims 2. Except it's totally different...

Downloading now.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 19:54 

I've really been enjoying using the Creature Creator -- I even plunked down the cash for the almost-complete version.

That said... Vert-? Sigh.

Am I the only one who's disappointed at the prospect that Spore itself may turn out to be yet another Vert- game? Did I only dream the response to BioShock's aspect ratio solution?

EA is betting that Spore is going to be a huge hit. It may well be, and I hope it will be. I had actually sketched out a design of my own for a game similar to Spore before it was announced, so I definitely want it to do well.

But how is failing to support the growing number of wisdescreen users -- in fact, actually giving them less visual content than someone running in 4:3 -- supposed to help induce gamers to buy this game?

I might take some guesses: perhaps Maxis is aiming more for general consumers (who may be assumed to still mostly be running on 4:3 glass monitors) than core gamers. Maybe it's cheaper/easier technically to do a Vert- solution for supporting multiple resolutions in the graphics engine Spore is using. Anyone got any other theories?

I'd like to give Maxis the benefit of the doubt here, but even so, I have to admit it's still a bit disappointing that widescreen users may actually get less game again.

I guess we'll find out in September.

Until then, thanks to Aziraphale Jasra for the detailed report on the Creature Creator.