Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DiRT: Showdown
PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 07:00 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: B

Read Full Detailed Report - DiRT: Showdown

Developed by Codemasters, DiRT: Showdown is the latest outing in the series, with a change of direction towards a destruction derby style of play, as players engage in demolition arenas and destruction races. Released 25 May 2012 in Europe and June 12th 2012 in North America

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post subject: DiRT: Showdown
PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 15:10 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - DiRT: Showdown

Developed by Codemasters, DiRT: Showdown is the latest outing in the series, with a change of direction towards a destruction derby style of play, as players engage in demolition arenas and destruction races. Released 25 May 2012 in Europe and June 12th 2012 in North America

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by g00seberry on 13 Dec 2016, 22:27, edited 5 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 15:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I concur with RED Frog - this game needs a FOV fix badly! The demo was flawless, but they changed it for some reason! Hopefully someone can have a look at it.

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 17:30 

EDIT. I'm totally blind.
I was editing DiRT3 files instead of Showdown. I will keep trying. lol I think it should be fixed by just changing some easy values in camera.xml files but I'm not sure yet.

I was changing all Parameter fov scalar value 60.0000 to 120.0000
now the game crashes when I start a race. Maybe FOV is too high, maybe WordPad saving breaks the code. (the latter one must be true)

Since I always have to edit all cars because the car names are totally stupid I'm giving up on this. Also saving with WordPad must be breaking it, the file size changes while
Im not even doing changes.

------------------------------
In another forum I saw the people talking about a DiRT3 FOV Tool. But all it really does, is changing some values in files so:
-------

I took a look and made changes in every "cameras.xml" file located in the dirt showdown / cars / models .. folders.

Each car seems to have its own camera settings.

I don't have any good editing/programming software so I only used WordPad. lol

But no luck. Fov hasn't changed. Maybe I overlooked something or maybe you need hex editors/cheat engine or whatsoever, I'm already at the end of my abilities there with WordPad lol :/

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 22:25 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the response guys. Can you try running the game in a window? My results are perfectly hor+ when windowed, but the HUD doesn't center, I'd be interested to see if it's the same with you too! Not quite sure what it's doing to cripple the FOV in fullscreen! Also state whether you're running NVSurround or Eyefinity.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 23:53 

Ah, you are right, windowed mode does show proper FOV.

Eyefinity

But playing in windowed mode is not acceptable, I will not play it that way for sure. Actually I didn't even try how much better it might be because I don't have the wheel right now,
but I will try for sure. On the screenshots you can see a TOTALLY different image, the high FOV will give you the idea of speed while on low FOV you basically are all the way zoomed in. I feel like playing a crappy console game.

Because of the windowed mode I cannot make any use of Crossfire, the framerates are almost half as much (in this scene it's 97fps vs 53fps - and it's a very empty scene)
And this is the most important part.

Well and also the HUD is not centered.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 04:22 
Insiders
Insiders

Sorry, I Un-installed this after I couldn't find a FOV fix. Plus if the FOV does work in window mode then, that's crap also. I'll lose my SLI capabilities. And the obvious flaw of none centred hud. Why?? Dirt 3 worked flawlessly...

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 13:44 
Editors
Editors

Does anyone still have the demo for DiRT: Showdown installed to check whether it displayed correctly in that? Some comparison screens would be great!

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 15:43 
Insiders
Insiders

It's sad that the official release has a FOV issue, maybe someone from widescreen fixer need to look at this, maybe Dopefish can help. Its playable with this fov issue but i want to play the game with proper fov. I play it now in windowed because of g00seberry for its advise. thanks! :bigsmile:

EDIT:

Found a temporarily fix for the game with good fov. This fix is an autohotkey script to remove the borders from a game in windowed mode and can also be used for other games.

1. download AutoHotKey.
2. install autohotkey.
3. Download this Script.
4. Run the script called Windowed. ( In the taskbar you will see a icon from autohotkey.)
5. Run Dirt Showdown in windowed mode.
6. Press CTRL+SHIFT+A to activate the script and the windowed borders are gone. ( the window is now 1680x1050 you will have to stretch it over your screens.)
You can also edit the script and put your resolution in it and you can edit the hotkey to activate the script.
7. Play!

The game looks fullscreen now but the fov is how it should be.

Here some screenshots:

Without Autohotkey:

With Autohotkey:

So you can see the fov is good.

have fun playing!
Sh4dowking

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 16:12 
Editors
Editors

I've made Codies aware of this issue so hopefully a fix can be found soon!

Until then, I strongly advise anyone playing to not run in any multi-mon resolutions fullscreen. It will greatly cripple your experience of the game! If you can get away with the lowered framerates, use the windowed no-border method above! Thanks for that! :)