Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 07:00 
Administrators
Administrators

Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A

Read Full Detailed Report - Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed

The critically acclaimed SHIFT franchise returns to the track with SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED. The most immersive racing video game experience to date brings the true driver’s experience to life with all the intensity and exhilaration of being behind the wheel and competing in the Driver’s Battle. SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED delivers all the violence, energy and excitement of race day in a groundbreaking authentic racing experience.

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED pushes authentic racing to the next gear with an all-new rendering engine and graphics overhaul, innovative helmet camera, night racing, and authentic degradation of tracks and cars.

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED takes the innovative rivalry-generating Autolog technology pioneered by Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and connects friends, and competitors, together in head-to-head races and player statistic match-ups to add new layers of depth and detail to the intricate customization and tuning of the simulation series.

Need for Speed SHIFT is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios.Slightly Mad Studios includes developers and designers that worked on the critically acclaimed games GT Legends and GTR 2.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 21:26 
Administrators
Administrators

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed

The critically acclaimed SHIFT franchise returns to the track with SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED. The most immersive racing video game experience to date brings the true driver’s experience to life with all the intensity and exhilaration of being behind the wheel and competing in the Driver’s Battle. SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED delivers all the violence, energy and excitement of race day in a groundbreaking authentic racing experience.

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED pushes authentic racing to the next gear with an all-new rendering engine and graphics overhaul, innovative helmet camera, night racing, and authentic degradation of tracks and cars.

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED takes the innovative rivalry-generating Autolog technology pioneered by Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and connects friends, and competitors, together in head-to-head races and player statistic match-ups to add new layers of depth and detail to the intricate customization and tuning of the simulation series.

Need for Speed SHIFT is being developed by Slightly Mad Studios.Slightly Mad Studios includes developers and designers that worked on the critically acclaimed games GT Legends and GTR 2.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

Last edited by Delphium on 05 Jan 2015, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Shift 2 Unleased
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 02:44 

So what do you think of this game? How is the wheel support? EA doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to steering wheel support, at least with the Need for Speeds since Hot Pursuit 2. I heard that they dumbed down the physics from the first Shift.

By the way, the background image in the menus is Vert-. It's nice to see at least one EA game with proper surround screen support in-game.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 12:51 
Administrators
Administrators

So what do you think of this game?
I quite enjoy it so far, although I am not that far in yet. I loved Shift1 and I like the new tracks, cars and envrioments this has to offer.
How is the wheel support?
I have a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience wheel for which is supported by this game and has given me no problems what so ever.
I heard that they dumbed down the physics from the first Shift.
Maybe I have not played this enough to feel like it has been dumbed down in comparison to shift1, there has actually been a few momments that I thought the physics was better. It certainly handles physics a hell of a lot better than shift1 performance wise, shift 1 was plauged by a bug that caused the screen to pause and make the car very shakey when hitting a wall or other cars etc, shift2 I have noticed has been very smooth when having a colision.
If that is a sign that there is less physics in shift2, or if shift2 simply has better physics code I cannot say at this point.
By the way, the background image in the menus is Vert-. It's nice to see at least one EA game with proper surround screen support in-game.
The background menu is not Vert-, but rather it stretches. Having looked at the 4:3 and 16:9 menu images you can see that the background appears to be Hor+
==Singleplayer anomalies==
The background to the main menu appears to be a 3D rendered scene rotating around the car when you select a different menu option
this however stretches although the actuall menu text is perfectly fine.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2011, 22:45 
Insiders
Insiders

The wheel support is god awful.

It's just luck that your wheel works fine. With a g27 it was terrible, the worst feel I've ever had in a game with this wheel. Felt like driving a swimming pool not a car.

The graphics are bad. Like 2006 bad with pixelated shadows and low poly cars, while still managing to run like total garbage on a 3way SLI 480's rig, hitting maybe 50 FPS with massive stutters and lag when near other cars.

Worst game i've bought this year besides Breach, but at least that was only 9$ wasted instead of 60.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 17:59 
Editors
Editors

So 5:4 is both Vert+ and letterboxed... Amusing. (The 5:4 cut-scene shot has a broken link, btw)

Could you move pics from the HUD Stretch to the Screen Change section ?

I think the main menu's backdrop consists of several 16:9 video loops showing different angles of the same scene, so there's a "3D effect" as you browse the submenus but it's just 2D really. Pillarboxing would've been the right way to handle this in Surround. Anyway, cosmetic flaws in menus can't affect the grade and won't be counted as a Singleplayer Anomaly. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2011, 19:07 
Administrators
Administrators

So 5:4 is both Vert+ and letterboxed... Amusing. (The 5:4 cut-scene shot has a broken link, btw)

Could you move pics from the HUD Stretch to the Screen Change section ?

I think the main menu's backdrop consists of several 16:9 video loops showing different angles of the same scene, so there's a "3D effect" as you browse the submenus but it's just 2D really. Pillarboxing would've been the right way to handle this in Surround. Anyway, cosmetic flaws in menus can't affect the grade and won't be counted as a Singleplayer Anomaly. ;)

Will edit accordingly :cheers.
Missing image, think I might have missed taking a screenie for that 1 shot at that 1 res, I intend to get more screenies for this to show inside the car and the video cutscenes so I will recapture that missing image at the same time.

I think the 5:4 is rather a 4:3 rendered image in a 5:4 frame with letterboxing.
So it is still Hor+ but letterboxed to ensure you get a minimum fov / width for aspect ratio, thus filling the rest of the space with black (the letterboxing).

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2011, 11:30 
Editors
Editors

My bad, 5:4 is just letterboxed. I hadn't realized the string of flags was probably moving up and down in-game, so I thought there was more to see vertically in 5:4 than in 4:3. :oops:

Anyway, WS & TH are strictly Hor+ compared to 4:3, so we don't have to give a rat's ass about 5:4 really.

Post subject: Re: Shift 2 Unleashed
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 15:25 
Editors
Editors

Screenies of 2D cut-scenes added. I also uploaded comparison shots for the helmet cam, although they're not needed for the DR. Feel free to use them as you see fit, or not at all.
I should be able to test all WS resolutions next week.

Testing resolutions in this game has been taking much more time and effort than I expected. Fiddling with resolutions is no problem in widescreen, but getting multi-mon not to crash while using the very same graphic settings that used to work requires a lot of re-starting the game and is major PITA. I've not been able to play at my bezel-compensated res yet, or join a MP game in Surround at all: CTD all the time. :?

Post subject: Re: Shift 2 Unleashed
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 09:32 
Editors
Editors

Supported Resolutions section updated.
Coverage is now almost complete, minus MP support. Can anyone confirm that MP works in multi-mon ? Any issues ?