Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomb Raider (2013)
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 18:58 

I get a drop of 60 to 30 fps from fullscreen to borderless (due to Crossfire), so windowed mode really isn't good enough for my purposes unfortunately. I'll probably never play through the game at this point, except maybe on my laptop when traveling. The developers gave it a couple of months of patches only before completely abandoning it.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 06:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Should say couple things, this game deserves it.
1. This game spreads beautiful & perfect in borderless. Dev supports this mode well. Recommend the game. Any borderless complaints posted above are invalid (some pillarboxed menus & a proper 16:9 HUD should obviously not detract you; the campfire also is just a pretty menu, with a pillarbox). Yes borderless is heavier on this game, so what? Runs just fine on a suitable system (one strong card).

2. Fullscreen MM is apparently a different story, having notable issues. If you can't run borderless, maybe wait on game until you CAN run borderless (one monster card e.g. Radeon Pro Duo). It is unlikely at this point that any FWS-type fix will be created. Also being able to run borderless is something a gamer should work toward. It makes you more flexible to adjust to a given game's needs. This game is not alone on this issue, borderless has real value. Borderless regularly even removes pillarboxes, though not on most games (& not this game).

3. This game also spreads perfect in manual PLP.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 06:55 

1. How are the complaints invalid? They do detract from the game, sheesh.

2. Radeon Pro Duo uses crossfire, thus it would still be useless. Proper borderless multi-card would be great, but neither crossfire nor SLI supports it, and if you want to run 4K or multi-monitor at the highest detail levels with high frame rates, you really do want multiple cards. I don't think Mantle or DX12 fixes this yet either.

PS. Why are you resurrecting an old thread only to post no useful info beyond trolling?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 07:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Because it is a beautiful game that has received too much negatativity. In my opinion. It bugged me, so I posted.
I made various mistakes in the post, as you point out. But the guts stand:
- The game looks great in borderless, I am loving it.
- Borderless has value, you should try to round your system to allow it. Over time, single-cards are getting more capable of running higher resolutions. 4K LLL someday I'd think.
necro out

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 17:08 

This should be reduced to a silver grade.

Finally playing this all these years later after discovering the "Yamatai patch" which has an option to stop the nausea inducing camera shake.

I've also noticed that the cutscenes seem to be zoomed in way too much. While diagnosing bizarre performance issues, I put the game in borderless and now the UI screwed up, part of it is cut off (like popups) and part of it just feels like it's in the wrong spot.

CD/SE never bothered to patch the game to fix stuff or add an option to disable camera shake like in the second game.. and it seems nobody came back to replay it either, so no further development came out of the community for widescreen fixes.

Just a shame. Feels like yet another game ruined by design decisions (also some horrible camera re-centering on movement, you're ALWAYS fighting with the controls). I refuse to play the 2nd without beating the first, but at this point I feel like my only choice is to watch a full Let's Play of it, ugh.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2018, 01:10 

DAOWAce hit the nail on the head for all my gripes with the game.

For 32:9, the cut-scenes are zoomed in and the notifications are out of the screen. And oh god I feel like my jumps have a mind of their own with these controls.