Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomb Raider (2013)
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 02:21 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Tomb Raider (2013)

Tomb Raider is an action-adventure platform video game. Published by Square Enix, Tomb Raider is the fifth title developed by Crystal Dynamics in the Tomb Raider franchise. As the first entry in a new Tomb Raider continuity, the game is a reboot that emphasizes the reconstructed origins of the culturally influential lead character Lara Croft.

Tomb Raider uses an interconnected hub-and-spoke model that combines action-adventure, platforming, exploration, and survival mechanics. The game is presented in third-person perspective, and the player takes control of the lead character, Lara Croft. Karl Stewart said that the game's campaign will last between 12 and 15 hours. Along with the main story, players will have the chance to do multiple side quests, explore the island, revisit places, and search for challenge tombs.

(Source: Wikipedia)

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by skipclarke on 16 Jun 2015, 20:01, edited 5 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Tomb Raider (2013)
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 13:07 

Heads up that eyefinity and crossfire don't play nice for this game.

If crossfire is enabled, the drivers don't tell the game that eyefinity is enabled (see tombraider.log) so the game doesn't properly adjust the aspect ratio. This can be fixed with a registry edit:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Crystal Dynamics \ Tomb Raider \ Graphics \ AspectRatio

Insert chosen aspect ratio using (width / height x 10,000). For example, in my case for 5760x1080 is D055 in hexadecimal or 53333 Decimal.

However this doesn't fix the rendered cut scenes which get badly cropped http://i.imgur.com/8InveiF.jpg

Alternately disable crossfire and everything will work but the performance takes a hit.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 00:28 

So in the latest version of the game, Eyefinity works fine with Crossfire, except in cut scenes. They're vert-, so you get an extremely zoomed in version of the scene. Anyone know of a fix?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 00:46 

So as of 2015, does anyone feel any interest in fixing this games small but annoying issue. Like skywise says, on 21:9, or any other spect not 16:9, the game is vert- during cutscenes. This can be remedied by going windowed, and using a window borderless fix, but as a result, the hud is set to 16:9, and black bars are given during things like pausing and campfires. Could anyone provide a fix that fixes fullscreens vert- issues during cutscenes, and I believe some QTEs.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 16:16 
Editors
Editors

That's weird, I played through TR in Crossfire+Eyefinity only a couple months ago and everything was working just fine: Hor+ cut-scenes, centered HUD.
Campfires are hilarious though: if you wait a bit the slight camera pan may cancel the pillarboxing from certain angles...

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 19:08 

I just tested it - still broken. Are you sure you were using CF+EF? It's kind of frustrating as the game scales really well with CF, 30 fps vs 60 in the benchmark with everything maxed on three monitors.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 16:18 
Editors
Editors

I was using a 295X2.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 09:11 

Not sure how crossfire is, but I do know that single monitor aspect ratios beyond 16:9 are vert- during cutscenes. And like I said, fixable with windowed borderless, but the result is black bar campfires/pause screens, and a 16:9 hud. Fullscreen has corrected hud, and full campfires/pause, but stil lvert- cutscenes. It's like a lose/lose sitch.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 16:40 
Editors
Editors

Sucks. That's totally the kind of info we're looking for by the way, so any of you feel free to edit the Detailed Report with these details even if you don't have screenshots just yet.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 03:39 

I don't know jack about how you guys modify the games executables to fix widescreen issues, but I feel it would be easier to remove the black bars and realign the hud in a windowed borderless scenario, than to fix the fullscreen vert- issues in cutscenes. Am I correct, or is there more to it than that? I would almost prefer a Fullscreen fix, mostly due to a 10-15 fps drop using windowed borderless. But I'm just not sure if there's anyone out there who would consider writing a fix for it. I know Hayden gets hit up alot(I've asked him before for things :P) And I don't want to seem like an ungrateful begger, but Tomb Raider is one of my absolute favorites, and I'd love to have the best experience playing it widescreen.