Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 07:00 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: B
Multi-monitor Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a remake of the 1994 classic strategy game UFO: Enemy Unknown, also known as X-COM: UFO Defense. Unlike the previously announced XCOM by 2K Marin, this game will return to the strategic root of the X-COM series.

The game, set on modern-day Earth, deals with the international response to a global alien invasion. The player assumes the role of the commander of the top secret XCOM Project, the most elite military and scientific organization in the history of mankind, activated to engage in a seemingly hopeless war against an unknown extraterrestrial enemy with overwhelming technological superiority. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will feature the return of the classic strategy gameplay the series is best known for.

Last edited by skipclarke on 23 May 2013, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 11:41 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: B
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a remake of the 1994 classic strategy game UFO: Enemy Unknown, also known as X-COM: UFO Defense. Unlike the previously announced XCOM by 2K Marin, this game will return to the strategic root of the X-COM series.

The game, set on modern-day Earth, deals with the international response to a global alien invasion. The player assumes the role of the commander of the top secret XCOM Project, the most elite military and scientific organization in the history of mankind, activated to engage in a seemingly hopeless war against an unknown extraterrestrial enemy with overwhelming technological superiority. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will feature the return of the classic strategy gameplay the series is best known for.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by skipclarke on 06 Oct 2018, 05:38, edited 5 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 08:06 

From everything I have heard about this game it sounds great. Rendering the whole game upside-down in eyefinity seems like a really sloppy move. Weird.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 19:07 

Has anybody heard anything if the developers will fix this rendering upside down issue in eyefinity?

Post subject: Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 15:51 

scavvenjahh wrote:
Read More

A few things, first before luanching you need to set XComInput.ini to (read only) of its over writen. Second this still dones not solve the interface problems, I had come across just after release, that I posted, and reason never reposted FOV fix, as to many nusensess :(

I still hope some one, one day will find the fix for this, till then I will continue to run single :(

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 17:21 
Editors
Editors

No, the edits are done in the user config inis, not the files in the install folder. You don't have to make them read-only.

The solution is not perfect and I too hope there'll be a *real fix* someday - but as I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough in Surround, I see no reason to go back to single-screen for my future Classic/Ironman endeavors.
A low Edge Scrolling speed, a steady hand and a little patience sure help.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 17:42 

I was wondering if you could help me with an issue I had on Xcom! I made the edits on the Xcom page from http://www.wsgf.org/dr/xcom-enemy-unknown/en so the game would play in surround on 3 30" monitors.

The problem is during interceptor battles I am never able to push the buttons down for Aim / dodge / abort, etc in surround gaming. I have issues clicking the mouse button on the Interceptor buttons. (Aim / Dodge, etc), I think its a fov / placement issue. Is there any fix?

See the attached photo I have the resolution at 7680 x 1600 and 8055 x 1600 no matter which fov I use I can only push enter to close out some windows. Does anyone know the solution?

If there was a hotkey it would be made so much easier.

Eyefinity / Surround Specific Solution & Issues
Launch the game once to generate all config files, then open %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config\

XComCamera.ini
[Engine.Camera]
DefaultAspectRatio=1.778
bConstrainAspectRatio=True
ConstrainedAspectRatio=5.333 //your desired width by height ratio

XComInput.ini
Under [Engine.PlayerInput] ADD the following lines:
Bindings=(Name="T",Command="FOV 140")
Bindings=(Name="B",Command="FOV 110")

Quote:
Under [XComGame.XComTacticalInput] FIND the following line:
Bindings=(Name="T", Command="T_Key_Press | onrelease T_Key_Release", bPrimaryBinding=True)
...and replace it with:
Bindings=(Name="T", Command="FOV 130 | T_Key_Press | onrelease T_Key_Release", bPrimaryBinding=True)

Save changes then run the game.
Press T to fix the FOV.

In strategic mode (HQ), some rooms/menus require a slightly lower FOV. Press B instead.
In tactical mode (mission), pressing T once during the landing cut-scene will fix the entire mission.
130 is a good value for bezel-compensated 48:9, and works for lower TripleWide aspects too.
110 works better for classic 15:4 TripleHead.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 23:44 

i went ahead and deleted the 2 .ini files and loaded up in 2560 x 1600. This solved the problem, but why would I have to do it this way? Is the Surround broken in the game?

My file says (remember 7680 x 1600 with Bezel correction is 855 x1600
XcomCamera.ini
[Engine.Camera]

DefaultAspectRatio=1.778
bConstrainAspectRatio=true
ConstrainedAspectRatio=5.333

[IniVersion]
0=1370563209.000000

Xcominput.ini
[Engine.PlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="T",Command="FOV 140")
Bindings=(Name="B",Command="FOV 110")

Bindings=(Name="T", Command="FOV 130 | T_Key_Press | onrelease T_Key_Release", bPrimaryBinding=True)

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 08:49 
Editors
Editors

Well, that's why the full DR reads "Limited Multi-Mon Support": the solution provided works (I have completed several playthroughs in Surround myself), but is not without flaws. This is not a FOV issue, but a matter of UI and actual buttons being misaligned in wider-than-widescreen resolutions. Ask Firaxis how they screwed up MM support so bad !

With a little practice you may actually click all buttons during interceptions: imagine a tiny 16:9 "bullseye" at the center of your screen. Move your mouse cursor veeeery slowly around the lower part of it and you should "find" the buttons. Of course, the higher your resolution, the tinier this invisible rectangle so... I wish you good luck, a keen eye and a steady hand :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 17:44 
Editors
Editors

DLC Enemy Within has its own config files (much like a separate game) so you'd have to edit these, too.
Sadly it seems in-mission cut-scenes are breaking the fix in Enemy Within: after aliens have been spotted, gameplay suddenly turns Vert- and the FOV key doesn't work anymore :cry:

Edit: save, quit to main menu, load, and the fix is back on its feet. Hmmmmm.