Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

I'll try to explain what goes wrong with Within's tactical mode in Multi-Monitor and how to fix it.

You need not one, but [url]two[/url] FOV keys under
Code:
[XComGame.XComTacticalInput]

Bindings=(Name="T", Command="FOV 120 | T_Key_Press | onrelease T_Key_Release", bPrimaryBinding=True) //exisiting line, just add the FOV command
Bindings=(Name="B", Command="FOV 170 | T_Key_Press | onrelease T_Key_Release", bPrimaryBinding=True) //new line to be added to the file

During missions, it goes like this:

Default FOV is Vert-

T FOV 120 is Hor+

B FOV 170 is way too high... for now. Back to T FOV.

Cut-scene triggered ! Still Hor+ for a second...

...but not for long ! T FOV has become unusable.

Switching to B FOV now restores Hor+ gameplay and cut-scenes...

...which incidentally don't break it anymore.

Somehow the first cut-scene to be triggered in a mission will drastically lower any and all custom FOV value, so you need two FOV keys: one for before the first cut-scene, the other for the rest of the mission.
To be clear, this issue only affects the Enemy Within DLC. In vanilla Enemy Unknown, you'd press T once and never have to do anything more to fix the entire mission...

In light of all this, should I cram both MM solutions in the same DR, or would a separate MGL entry for Enemy Within make more sense ? :think:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 06:30 

Although I may be talking into an empty thread...I have modified my game files and fixed the upside down UI. However when I toggle the UI during disembarking the Skyranger, the UI is zoomed in ridiculously close. I have used Flawless Widescreen to fix such problems in other games but it does not seem to support XCom at the moment. Is there a place in the .ini filoes where I can zoom out the TacticalUI?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 21:14 
Editors
Editors

I wish I knew the answer to that...
Fixing a low FOV can be problematic - but fixing a broken UI is much, much more complicated. Apparently.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 14:22 

21:9 works better after changing the forced aspect ratio, but the game is still borderline unplayable.

The mouse position is off the further it gets from the center of the screen. This results in being forced to position the mouse in strange areas trying to get the game to see you want to click on the square 4 spaces away.

I've not found any information into resolving this issue.

Do multi-monitor setups experience this problem too? Did Enemy Within change something that broke the fixes for wider than 16:9 resolutions?

As it stands, I have to either not play the game at all, or switch to 16:9 and deal with huge pillarboxing.

And of course, Firaxis can't be damned to fix their game even after all this time. Hell, they still have game breaking bugs they haven't bothered dealing with. Terrible developer.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 14:45 
Editors
Editors

Hi DAOWAce,

Yes ! The mouse vs. UI issues are the same in Multi-Mon... only far, far worse. And EU behaves exactly like EW on that front. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Your description of the problem is better than anything I could come up with, so I added it to the DR ;)

The "solution" is to follow the highlight from square to square, not the cursor itself, as you move the mouse around sloooowly.

In my ~200h with the game I have *only* played in UWS or MM, so I beg to differ on the borderline unplayability. It's pretty messed up, of course - but totally manageable. It might help to get acquainted with the game in regular 16:9 before you move on to wider, more flawed territory...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 01:05 

Oh I've been acquainted with the game.. Played it on release and it actually made me play the original XCOM for the first time, which I found far far better. So much more depth, so much more tension, so much harder (but fair hard instead of bug ridden / inflated stat based on difficulty hard). Sadly it's not a pleasant experience on a 21:9 monitor. Gotta buy a new 16:10 to play my old games on, as my old one has a microstutter issue, but I've been waiting for a 120Hz one for years and they still don't exist.

Wanted to come back and play Long War with EW (last playthrough of the new XCOM was vanilla EW on release since LW needed months to update), but ran into this 21:9 issue. Had a 16:10 monitor prior (and UE3 is mostly vert-, so I had a better experience!) and everything was just fine back then.

I've taken to playing the game in 16:9 as I can't figure out a solution to the issue; nor can anyone else apparently. I suppose as a bonus I get to downsample with GeDoSaTo so the game looks less awful, but it's still not programmed very well and the UI still has core issues with the way it's designed (updates slowly with mouse interaction, requiring pauses, slight movement or multiple clicks to get things to function properly; keyboard is instant and has no issues).

Oh, and I wasn't accurate enough; I meant 7 tiles away. Yeah, even worse, ugh. MM must be what, 20+ tiles offset? I could never train my brain to follow a selection highlighter and not the cursor; completely counter intuitive and it must take a while to even do anything!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 20:11 

Hey there,

Is there anyway to fix the mouse issue with 21:9 ultrawide monitors (3440x1440 res here)?

If you like my build, please give me a +1 on ModsRigs. Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 21:24 

Just spent quite a while researching this Skoda, and it appears that there's no fix to it. Sadly if they've not fixed it at this point I doubt they will ever do so.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 18:18 

Thanks,

I am surprised nobody has developed a mod or some type of fix for this yet.

If you like my build, please give me a +1 on ModsRigs. Thanks!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 08:01 

I've spent a short time with this tonight, will look into it more tomorrow. I had the mouse working before the FOV ini edit.. will have to try to replicate what i did, will post back if i figure anything out

edit
funny, the mouse works fine in the main menu after switching from fullscreen to windowed and back, but then when you get in game it renders upside down, never seen that before. you could probably flip your display in the nvidia config.

not sure this is even worth playing widescreen, seems pretty well designed for single monitor.