Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2005, 07:00 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: Unsupported
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported

Read Full Detailed Report - Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed

part of the Need for Speed (NFS) series. Unlike other NFS titles, Porsche Unleashed centers around racing Porsche sports cars, with models ranging from 1950 to 2000

Last edited by skipclarke on 04 May 2013, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Screenshots
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 13:52 

Game only stretches:

4:3

16:9

"Wide Screen" setting just puts letterbox.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2014, 17:02 

I saw there was a patch recently released for NFS-PU that fixes the stretch issues. So perhaps someone here is also interested in this patch for PU :)

I can not find the original forum post, seems to be hidden now from unregistered forum users, but I did find a Google cache of the original thread. Google's Cache link to the thread - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Here is the lead post from that thread by author Felix Krull of the Aspect Ratio Patch for PU -

(I don't think I'm telling anyone anything new here, but finding a reasonably active NFSPU community is bloody hard these days.)

Having dug out NFSPU recently again, I was somewhat bothered by its not playing nice with widescreen displays. While you can set it to widescreen resolutions (and with the Voodoo renderer + nGlide, you can even get the menu at a nice resolution), but everything's horizontally stretched and icky. So I looked into solving that and a few false starts and various related and unrelated distractions later, I now have something reasonably presentable.

Download
https://bitbucket.org/fk/porsche-graphi ... /downloads

The source can be found at https://bitbucket.org/fk/porsche-graphics-hacks.

Installation

extract the contents of this archive into the "Drivers" subdirectory of your NFSPU installation directory
install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 x86 Redistributable using the included "vcredist_x86.exe" installer
enable the widescreen patch by double-clicking the "Enable Widescreen Renderer.reg" file (and confirming all prompts)
(optionally) if you prefer to use the Glide renderer, remove the initial ";" from the ";driver=voodoo2" line in "porsche-widescreen.ini"

On a certain set of crashes
I think I've fixed the notorious Normandie/lens flare crashes. However, I'm not totally confident that I've fixed it totally or that I caught every related crash and as such, I'd appreciate to get feedback on stability. So, it'd be great if everyone could reset the usual work-arounds, i.e. turn on lens flare and the rear view mirror and change the sky files for all tracks back to their defaults. And if you do get a crash, see further below for how you can help me debug it.

Other notes

Both the Direct3D 7 renderer and the Glide renderer are supported (I only tested the Glide renderer with nGlide); the D3D renderer is the default because it needs no external dependencies but I highly recommend the Glide renderer with nGlide for anyone.
Zooming into the car interiors in the menu shows some visual glitches.
Don't set the in-game resolution to 640x480, that'll also cause slight visual issues. Again, somewhat obscure technical reasons, just use a resolution that wasn't around 20 years ago.
This patch corrects the horizontal stretching by basically counter-stretching the image vertically, i.e. the image will be cut off at the top and bottom (HUD and interface elements are fine and on-screen). As a result, compared to the game running at a 4:3 aspect ratio, a widescreen aspect ratio will give you the same horizontal field of view, but less vertical field of view. It's not a big deal, but the wider your screen, the less you'll strictly see, compared to 4:3.

End lead post quote.

Here is a screen of PU in 16:10 screen ratio -

http://imageshack.us/a/img661/1173/c7c3fc.png

Thank You Felix for fixing PU for me :)