Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bionic Commando (2009)
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 22:44 

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Bionic Commando (2009)

Bionic Commando is a 2009 action-platform video game, part of the Bionic Commando series. The game was developed and published by Capcom in collaboration with Swedish developer GRIN and produced by Ben Judd. The game is a sequel to the 1988 NES version of Bionic Commando and its remake Bionic Commando Rearmed. The game runs on Grin's own 'Diesel' engine.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by Ergonpandilus on 19 Oct 2015, 07:32, edited 3 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 10:26 
Editors
Editors

I almost started working on this one, too - nice report :cheers
As for the game itself, the grapple mechanics sure suck after 100+ hours of Just Cause 2 :oops: and Vert- cut-scenes ruin the story in multi-mon, but Hor+ gameplay was a nice surprise for an obviously consolish game I got for 3€.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 16:59 

Hey, BC came before Just Cause 2, so it works the other way round. ;) And I was surprised how fluent the gameplay really is and it's nice that you learn new trick almost every level. The physics are also worth mentioning, they are amazing and throwing cars with the bionic arm is really fun. And you need to use your brains with couple of "bosses", like with Burag Helicopter. And I also like how the ammo is sparse and you need to improvise; at one point I had to travel back quite a bit and drag a car with the grappling hook and use it as a weapon since I didn't had any bullets left. :)

Though, it all depends how much of nostalgia you like, so depending on that, I'd rate the game from 7.5 to 9.0.

About the Vert- cut-scenes, yes they are a bit annoying but at least the good voice acting keeps you track with the plot.

Other semi-good game from same developer (GRIN) with same engine, is Wanted: Weapons of Fate.

How's the report otherwise? Is it still missing some screens or other aspects?

PS. Already have Just Cause 2 ordered since it's suppose to be quite nice on Eyefinity.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 17:25 
Editors
Editors

I can see nothing missing.
Menu is vert-.

It may be worth noting that, although some buttons may seem off-screen on the second pic, all menu items are "floating" and constantly moving up and down a little bit, plus the menu wheel moves as you point the central neural thingy toward any direction - so everything is always accessible, albeit badly zoomed in, in multi-mon.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 15:32 
Insiders
Insiders

How should we grade the TH support? In order for flawed TH support to knock a game's grade down, there must be an issue bad enough that it would make the game's grade be a "C" if it affected widescreen. Does TH have any flaws that bad? From the looks of it, I'm guessing not, which would make the game certified, with TH-specific blemishes noted.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 15:58 
Editors
Editors

Nope, no reason not to certify imho. Man oh man, it's raining gold on the hermit's backlog !

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 22:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Cool, man. Good job.