Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2005, 14:45 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported

Read Full Detailed Report - Command & Conquer: Generals

Command & Conquer: Generals is an RTS from EA Games, and represents the beginning of a new story arc in the Command & Conquer series rather than being a sequel to any previous game. It's set in the near future, in a world where the US and China are the two superpowers, and an irregular fanatic group known as the GLA has emerged. Each of the three forces has its own campaign, and their own gameplay style (US - air power and high tech stuff, China - powerful units and lots of them, GLA - stealth and speed).

Last edited by skipclarke on 27 Mar 2013, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 11 May 2005, 15:16 
Founder
Founder

While C&C:G does not stretch, it does look like that the game supports widescreen by cutting off the top and bottom, rather than adding to the left and right.

I posted some pics on the screenshot section showcasing the differences between fullscreen and widescreen in this game.

http://images.widescreengamingforum.com

Paddywak edit: ... Note: these screenshots are from before the FOV fix below ...
8)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2006, 11:40 
Editors
Editors

Thanks to neoWidescreen and KOJiN ... :) ... here is an optional tweak ...

* RESOLUTION - Change it by editing OPTIONS.INI under your "my documentsCommand and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder as previously listed above.

Want to be able to pull out the camera further ? ... - You can download ... Neo's C&C generals widescreen file
(should work fine in 1.06 and 1.08 too). UNZIP the file GAMEDATA.INI to: "%your install path%Command & Conquer Generals Zero HourDataINI". If you want to return Generals back to normal, just delete gamedata.ini.

Modding the camera position yourself: for leet hax0rs
if you want to edit it yourself, google "FinalBig" and download it, open INIZH.BIG (located where you installed C&C Generals Zero Hour), extract GAMEDATA.INI, edit "MaxCameraHeight" from a default value of 310 to something higher, then save your modified gamedata.ini to "%your install path%Command & Conquer Generals Zero HourDataINI".

Notes:
Zero Hour ... the addon for Generals, creates its own seperate install. So instead of editing the value in "inizh.big" (which is where "gamedata.ini" mentioned above comes from) you would edit the same field in "ini.big" in the generals root dir.

Zero Hour creates it's own installation, you *must* still have the original Generals installed - otherwise ZH doesn't load.

When you unpack the gamedata.ini you DO NOT have to re-insert it into "INIZH.BIG". You can if you want to be super-leet, but it's easier to edit when left in the INI folder.

Some screenshots to show you the difference in MaxCameraHeight.

4:3

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 310 [default]

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 410

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 610

The setting it to 610... looks sensational ... here's a full-sized game screenshot to show you just how good it looks.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007, 08:07 
Editors
Editors

Some extra info from ... Implode ... thank you ... 8)

Hey there,
I found one more useful bit of info, plus a bit of fun.

I had been playing on my 24" in 1920x1200 with MaxCameraHeight set to 700. This loses the terrain at the very screen edges, but you live with it (it looked worse in cutscenes, but who cares!) Now I've got a 30" in 2560x1600, I've got MaxCameraHeight set to 1000 and the terrain problem means it only draws the terrain for half the screen.

A fix for this is to set
DrawEntireTerrain = Yes
(also in GameData.ini). This doesn't seem ideal - you want to extend the camera distance the terrain draws to, not make it draw the entire map. But hey, it at least works.

Now with such a huge camera height, the planes look more ridiculous than ever, they're so close to the ground. Found their heights defined in Locomotor.ini - most of them by default are 100. Last game I tried I had helicopters set at 150 and planes set at 300, however this gives a glitch with the planes landing VTOL style sometimes (which causes them to take ages to land), so I think 250 should be safe. Up to you if you want to post this last bit of info... since this is modifying the game more than just making it widescreen :)

Take a look here :) This was with the planes at 200.

Cheers,

Implode.

If you wish to discuss this look here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111439#111439

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 18:09 
Insiders
Insiders

==Game Information==

Command & Conquer: Generals is an RTS from EA Games, and represents the beginning of a new story arc in the Command & Conquer series rather than being a sequel to any previous game. It's set in the near future, in a world where the US and China are the two superpowers, and an irregular fanatic group known as the GLA has emerged. Each of the three forces has its own campaign, and their own gameplay style (US - air power and high tech stuff, China - powerful units and lots of them, GLA - stealth and speed).

==Version==

Based on the demo.

==Method==

First, enter the game, and set your graphics preferences. Save and quit.

Then, go to:
My DocumentsCommand and Conquer Generals Data

Edit the file "options.ini." You will find a line beginning with the word "Resolution." Change it to set your resolution.

==Screen change==

Vert -.

1600x1200:

1920x1200:

1920x1080:

==Supported resolutions==

Every resolution I tested worked.
Confirmed: 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200

==Singleplayer anomalies==

I found two in the demo.

Loading screens usually don't count, but in this game they double as mission briefing screens, so in this case they do. They stretch.

Also, the first part of the intro cut-scene has a weird graphics glitch.

This doesn't happen in any of the 4:3 modes available by default. I'm guessing that the camera pointing upwards has something to do with this, but I don't know how often this happens in the full game.

==Multiplayer support==

Untested, but it would very likely be vert -.

==Aspect ratio support==

The game automatically uses the correct aspect ratio for your resolution, but vert -.

==HUD stretch==

The control panel at the bottom of the screen stretches.

==Cut-scenes==

There are FMVs and realtime cut-scenes. The FMVs stretch.

And the realtime cut-scenes are anamorphic 16:9.

==Surround==

Supported natively, vert -.

1600x1200:

1920x698:

Realtime cut-scenes are vert -.

==Grading==

Calculated grade: C

Vert - is a consequential flaw.

CCE: 100%

Post subject: Paddy the Wak wrote:Some
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 15:49 

Some extra info from ... Implode ... thank you ... 8)

[quote]Hey there,
I found one more useful bit of info, plus a bit of fun.

I had been playing on my 24" in 1920x1200 with MaxCameraHeight set to 700. This loses the terrain at the very screen edges, but you live with it (it looked worse in cutscenes, but who cares!) Now I've got a 30" in 2560x1600, I've got MaxCameraHeight set to 1000 and the terrain problem means it only draws the terrain for half the screen.

A fix for this is to set
DrawEntireTerrain = Yes
(also in GameData.ini). This doesn't seem ideal - you want to extend the camera distance the terrain draws to, not make it draw the entire map. But hey, it at least works.

Now with such a huge camera height, the planes look more ridiculous than ever, they're so close to the ground. Found their heights defined in Locomotor.ini - most of them by default are 100. Last game I tried I had helicopters set at 150 and planes set at 300, however this gives a glitch with the planes landing VTOL style sometimes (which causes them to take ages to land), so I think 250 should be safe. Up to you if you want to post this last bit of info... since this is modifying the game more than just making it widescreen :)

Take a look here :) This was with the planes at 200.

Cheers,

Implode.

If you wish to discuss this look here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111439#111439

That link is broken, but I tried to set the locomotor to 200 but the game doesn't load, so I'm not sure if it is being done properly.

If there is more information on how exactly this is done, I would appreciate it

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 02:30 

Hi can anyone confirm to me that this hack is approved to play online multiplayer? Ie Steam or directly from the game? Thanks for the posts guys.