Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Torchlight
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 15:35 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Torchlight

Torchlight is a 3D singleplayer hack-n-slash. Despite the low-gore atmosphere, post-WoW look/pets/steampunk weaponry, and Titan Quest-like skill management and two-handed combat, the gameplay of Torchlight is as close to good old Diablo's as it gets.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by scavvenjahh on 05 Jan 2015, 03:37, edited 5 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 19:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Certified.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 21:50 
Editors
Editors

There is one very minor flaw I forgot to document : when entering a new map or gaining a level, there's a one-second message displayed on top of the screen. These brief messages stretch.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x 16:10

That's all, DR should be Tanukiproof now !

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 06:02 
Editors
Editors

Has nothing to do with resolution but just a gameplay mechanic. At home I use an alchemist and I have 2 imp summons and playing 5760x1200 I find my imps run over to one of the side screens to go attack something very often.

This is a good thing for the most part but sometimes I am trying to collect loot from a battle and they run off to start another battle a whole screen over. My thought was how bad this would suck on a single display because they would be running off screen to go attack stuff very often.

Tonight I tested on my laptop with 1920x1080 16:9 and saw the agro range of my pets/summons and stuff is reduced to my screen area only and t hey do not run off.

So while I love the 3x screens and its the main reason I got this game it does add a bit more work for you to keep up with your summons and stuff, but the extra agro range is probably more of a good thing than a bad one.

Also note that I have seen people mention how they do not like the tool bars on the far edges of the screen because dragging items is a pain. So far I have not been in a situation where I could not just shift click an item to move it instantly instead of dragging it, so I like the placement of the toolbars on the far edge rather than being pushed to the center screen.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 17:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Damnit... why did they go and have to do everything perfectly, and then make a mistake with one lousy triviality? Why couldn't they have made the entire HUD stretch from 16:9 like any other minor oversight? Now I have no idea whether to mark the game down or not.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 19:25 

Ouch. Now there's one tough decision I wouldn't want to make.

On the one hand I'd say it's so insignificant, as in I hardly even notice the text at all when I enter a floor, let alone how the text is written.

On the other hand, it is a blemish...

How about other certified games? Are they all 100% perfect in every respect, including trivialities like this?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 19:37 
Insiders
Insiders

On occasion I've overlooked unusual faults that were trivial in comparison to the usual blemishes. For instance, we originally certified Company of Heroes in spite of a squashed 16:10 HUD on the grounds that it looked fine in 4:3 and 16:9, and 16:9->16:10 squashing is less severe than 4:3->16:10 stretching.

But as more and more games had this issue, I escalated this to "blemish" status and had CoH de-certified.

I can't think of any examples of games with only "negligible" faults that are still certified. I always record those games as being flawless - it just hasn't been common enough to justify expanding the schema to accommodate negligible faults on the record.

I'd appreciate some counciling on the matter. Scavvenjahh's opinion is solicited in particular.

Or maybe Tanuki could find five micro-blemishes we all missed and then I could just mark it down to B+ without feeling remorseful.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 20:43 
Editors
Editors

The stretched text is a trivial nanoblemish to me. Overlooking it as long as we don't find anything else seems reasonable. These messages pop up and vanish so fast, I can hardly read them anyway :oops:

Vicious, does the "triple-screen aggro" thing also happen when your pet is in a defensive stance ?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 22:00 
Editors
Editors

Dunno about defensive I would ponder not, but I like them attacking and not sure if you can change your summons stance only your pet?

There is a 1.12b update for this game now, they are showing amazing support for this game, if the micro blemish bothers you enough I am willing to bet they will fix it for us lol.

1.12 was live for not even a day before they did the 1.12b hotfix.

This new patch has a ton of fixes and promises both faster loader and better performance. Crazy as this game already both performed super great and loaded fast for me.

Torchlight 1.12 Patch Notes -

* Fixed several issues which could overwrite saves, and protected against possible save loss. Save backups are now also generated.
* Much reduced load times
for many users
* Some minor ingame performance improvements
* Fixed Needle Arc XP exploit
* Fixed Shadow Armor stacking effects
* Fixed vendor dupe bug
* Fixed various fullscreen startup issues
* Fixed broken Brink cinematic on subsequent plays
* Fixed merchant ‘thief’ exploit
* Fixed right clicking in inventory casting certain spells
* Fixed console not activating on Steam builds – this also fixes the fact that subsequent characters didn’t see the random dungeon unlock after the first completion
* Fixed issue with Syl’s cinematic not being “skippable” during first boss fight
* Fixed some DOT deaths not dropping loot
* Quest items no longer allowed in stash
* Several level fixes for a few places where things overlapped, or collision was missing, or stuck-issues cropped up
* Fixed texture/mesh/ replacement issues with mods
* You can now change difficulty level on the fly from the console without being branded a Cheater ( UNLESS you’re playing hardcore )
* Fixed pet minions not awarding fame
* Fixed slow load times when mods were enabled
* Pets inherit your spell masteries
* Magic find takes the max value between you and your pet when pets or pet minions make a kill
* Visible/increasing chance of stripping enchants via enchanter. Price based on # of enchants. Variables tunable in globals.dat
* Troll pet is properly invincible
* Tree Boss could be charmed – fixed
* Fixed issue – Returning to town if you died during Ember Colossus or Medea would make them dormant on return
* weapon + shield doesn’t count as ‘dual wielding’
* Shimmering Scale ( and 2 other socketables ) now work properly when socketed
* Ember lance slight nerf
* Ember lightning slight buff
* Aloe Gel summon provides better healing
* Equippables properly provide bonuses to passive skills
* Fixed display issue where multiple skill bonuses on the same item would collapse into a single display
* Hardware skinning settings respected properly for pet paperdolls
* Fix for potential bad state in the henchman battle
* Enchantments at level 100 now work
* Relabeled difficulty levels, and added tooltips explaining each
* Fixed ‘free spell purchase’ exploit
* Socketables cannot be heirloomed
* Fix for masteries not updating certain spell bonuses until logout/login
* Summon Blood Skeleton has 11 levels now
* Various small grammar and spelling fixes

* ADDITION : Rimlights, HW Skinning, and VSynch can all be altered from the Settings menu now.
* MODDERS: Items can be set to ‘always identified’

The 1.12b hotfix is to fix a bug with the enchanter.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 22:20 

I installed the demo on Steam and was amazed at how well this game performs on even my modest system which I built in 2006 (2.4Ghz Athlon 64, 2GB ram, Evga 7950GT). It runs very smoothly in 2560x1600 with graphics detail on high, vsync and AA on. I almost never enable vsync when I play games but there was significant shearing without it.