Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Risen
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 11:34 

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: B
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Risen

Risen is a single-player fantasy-themed action role-playing game by the German company Piranha Bytes, and published by Deep Silver. Piranha Bytes itself developed the Windows version, which was released on October 2, 2009.

Risen takes place in Faranga, a fictitious volcanic, mediterranean island with different sub-climates and vegetation zones. The island is inhabited by humans, as well as many fantastic creatures.

Recently, ancient temple ruins have risen from the ground, providing access to a network of interconnected underground areas such as catacombs and dungeons. As a result, the humans have put in place an Inquisition, forbidding anyone from exiting their city or the island.

The player character wakes up on the shores of Faranga in the midst of the storm, surrounded by dead bodies. Both he and Sara are unharmed.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by StingingVelvet on 12 Jul 2015, 23:58, edited 8 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Risen: Detailed Report
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 17:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Does the stretching affect 16:10? And if not, do you think the effect on TH is detrimental enough to prevent certification?

Also, any other SP anomalies?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 17:51 

There are fullscreen cutscenes as well. Best one to find is going out to sea and then the scene of your character on the beach afterwards.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 00:57 

Does the stretching affect 16:10? And if not, do you think the effect on TH is detrimental enough to prevent certification?

Also, any other SP anomalies?

No anomalies in 22 hours of gameplay... as for the stretching, it is not there in any single monitor res that I have seen, the size seems to scale up to 16:9.

As for how damaging the scaling is to image quality at ultra wide resolutions across 3 monitors, I can't really say for sure without running it that way, but the "faux" TH resolution I ran seemed pretty okay... obviously a little stretched, but nothing really horrible.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 00:58 

There are fullscreen cutscenes as well. Best one to find is going out to sea and then the scene of your character on the beach afterwards.

It's probably just the gameplay camera sticking in one spot for a death scene... in theory it does that whenever you die, but I don't think those are cinematics.

I could be wrong though, I never walked out to sea. I'll do that later tonigh.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 03:27 

It's probably just the gameplay camera sticking in one spot for a death scene... in theory it does that whenever you die, but I don't think those are cinematics.

You can still move the camera when you are dead. This scene I am talking about is after you wash up. When you "die" at sea you do not really die just show up on the closest beach.

I could be wrong though, I never walked out to sea. I'll do that later tonigh.

If you fall in deep you will drown and wash up. But be warned if you walk into the sea from a beach you will get a bump to your heartrate. 8)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 04:13 

The opening scene where he washes up is given black bars for me... seems like a dialogue scene with no dialogue... not sure if that is different from later washing up scenes.

Either way it is Hor+, so we're all good.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 05:21 

superb report ! (DRM & game information...)

and ... nice sales girl :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 09:45 

Fullscreen Cutscenes.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 13:54 

That really is just the dialogue system without the dialogue... random viewpoint, still camera... same thing.

A cutscene would be like, you know... action, moving cameras, actual difference from gameplay. Think Quake IV... all in-engine and rendered in real-time, but with cinematic camera angles and movement. I don't think pausing control of the camera while a quick animation plays qualifies, in my opinion.

Not being nitpicky, just clarifying the DR lingo-dingo. If cranky wants I will put your images in the DR, but I think it is being redundant.