Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Osmos
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 04:08 
Founder
Founder

Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A

Read Full Detailed Report - Osmos

Enter the ambient world of Osmos: elegant, physics-based gameplay, dreamlike visuals, and a minimalist, electronic soundtrack.

Your objective is to grow by absorbing other motes. Propel yourself by ejecting matter behind you. But be wise: ejecting matter also shrinks you. Relax… good things come to those who wait.

Progress from serenely ambient levels into varied and challenging worlds. Confront attractors, repulsors and intelligent motes with similar abilities and goals as you.

Last edited by skipclarke on 21 May 2013, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 04:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I think you should test 3840x800. If that runs fine, then it's an option for WTH options, and we can still certify it.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 15:11 
Founder
Founder

Tested 3840x800 and it works, so it appears to be a 4k issue. Since there is no real HUD or text, the small vertical resolution doesn't have any real impact. Funny that FRAPS took a pic of the whole image this time.

I did play the game some more, after remembering the "edge" issues with Aquaria. There is no such issue here. Once you go beyond the center screen, your avatar passes to the outer screens all the way to the edge. You can offset this by zooming out, if you choose.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 18:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Excellent.

Under "multiplayer support," you mean the game has no multiplayer mode, right?

I just got the demo, and confirm that 1280x720, 1440x900, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200 are supported, as long as your desktop is set to the desired res.

All we need now is for someone to test out the full version to verify it has no anomalies.

Calculated grade: B
Potential grade: Certified

Major outstanding DR omissions:
Need to check full version for anomalies

CCE: 88.5%

As a side note, when I first saw the title, and then saw a screenshot a nanosecond later, I was very disappointed to learn this wasn't a re-release of Cosmic Osmo.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 19:22 

All we need now is for someone to test out the full version to verify it has no anomalies.

Well I haven't noticed anything peculiar, if that'll do. Haven't done actual testing, just played the game :P
Any specific things I should be looking for?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 21:36 

[quote]All we need now is for someone to test out the full version to verify it has no anomalies.

Well I haven't noticed anything peculiar, if that'll do. Haven't done actual testing, just played the game :P
Any specific things I should be looking for?

In a different kind of game you would want to make sure weapons or vehicles you do not have access to in the demo are not broken, like a sniper scope or tank in a game whose demo only gave you on foot gameplay an a machine gun. Sometimes a scope could be stretched and the demo never gave you access to a scoped weapon, something like that.

With this game I would imagine gameplay is very similar all the way through... basically just note if there are any changes in mechanics or perspectives and if they effect widescreen support.

You probably knew all that... I think I just felt like writing.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 17:42 

There's not really anything that could break here... round stuff is still round, all text is readable, controls work as they should, no graphical glitches, title menu is screen-filling, but round is still round. Looking just fine from here.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 20:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Then let's call this Certified.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 15:14 

I play the final in windowed mode, maximized on my 3840x1024 desktop. Looks great to me!

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 18:12 
Editors
Editors

Appears to be a 4k horizontal pixel issue.
I tried the demo too and was wondering whether Surround was a no-go or not, so thanks for clarifying that ! :bowdown Too bad one can't even select a non-desktop res, and hurray for GXM's Hotkeys. This game is a beauty.