Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drakensang: The Dark Eye
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 04:54 

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Drakensang: The Dark Eye

Drakensang: The Dark Eye was developed by Radon Labs. This is an RPG based on The Dark Eye pen and paper universe. Form a party from a selection of the various races and professions available in the lands of Aventuria. This is a slower-paced RPG with an emphasis on strategy and party balance.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by Tanuki on 04 Oct 2016, 07:51, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 04:57 

The movies will pic up but not show the actual movie and my camcoder adapter is AWOL.

If what I got is not good enough someone else will need to lend a hand(pic).

EDIT- I changed up the cut-scene section.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 06:01 
Insiders
Insiders

4:3 aspect ratios have the largest horizontal fov and 16:10 aspect ratios have the largest vertical fov.

That's... dumb. I think we should grade that as a blemish.

Calculated grade: B
Potential grade: B+

.ini solution for 1280x768, and cut-scene FOV oddities are blemishes.

Minor outstanding issues:
Need uncensored FMV screenshots.

CCE: 99%

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 16:13 
Editors
Editors

Just got the demo - finally, a recent game that doesn't require a 2 GB download ! :)

5040x1050 works...
...but letterboxed cut scenes are awfully Vert- (à la The Witcher, except nothing freezes, animations play normally).
Interactive dialogs are Hor+ with the interface on the right screen (which is a drag).
The minimap icons stretch, however hard it was to notice that in widescreen !
Bezel Management hotkey is NOT functional during play.

I'll remove these pics and do a real Surround section when/if I can find the exact same locations as Tanuki to take screenies.
Any suggestions for triggering a pre-rendered cut scene in the demo (which is the early game I presume) ?

Edit : pics removed. Check the Surround Screenshots forum.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 23:17 

Good catch on the minimap icons. I had to use an overlay in GIMP to see it.

There is only one prerendered movie that plays on load. You should not be able to find any in the demo.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 23:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Minimap icon stretching is another blemish.

Calculated grade is B-, potential grade is B. The rest of the grading section stays the same.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 23:31 
Editors
Editors

Oh. So I guess I'll leave my post as it is, unless you or cranky think it's not worthy of a DR thread...
If the FMV is impossible to capture directly and you're sure it's anamorphic, why don't you "recreate" screenies with the help of that Gimp friend o'yours ? It's not ideal, but it seems an acceptable workaround here. In my slacker's humble opinion, that is :oops:
Edit : if having no genuine screenshots of the FMV is really a problem for definite grading, nevermind.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 02:24 

If the FMV is impossible to capture directly and you're sure it's anamorphic, why don't you "recreate" screenies with the help of that Gimp friend o'yours ? It's not ideal, but it seems an acceptable workaround here. In my slacker's humble opinion, that is
Edit : if having no genuine screenshots of the FMV is really a problem for definite grading, nevermind.

Yeah doctoring pics kind of defeats the point. Otherwise I could make any game certified. 8)

I have some pics but I need to find my camcorder adapter.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 11:44 
Editors
Editors

Otherwise I could make any game certified. 8)
I know you wouldn't, and I suppose you know what anamorphism is and looks like, so "artificial" shots clearly identified as such would make sense to me here - and only here. It's your call, I just wish not to be misunderstood. ;)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 18:43 

I know you wouldn't, and I suppose you know what anamorphism is and looks like, so "artificial" shots clearly identified as such would make sense to me here - and only here.

I see what you are saying but I think a zero tolerance policy is best. No point in setting an unnecessary precedent.

One of the reasons for providing the pics is to allow others to check for omissions or errors. When I first started doing DRs I found a lot of incorrect entries in the MGL because people went on what was posted not actual pictures.

In this case with the anamorphism the cam pics are crap but good enough to see the 16:9 aspect ratio preserved and no cropping. Or it is possible Cranky might notice something in them that is a flaw.