Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy Machines 2
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 19:26 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Crazy Machines 2

Crazy Machines 2 is a contraption builder/puzzle game very similar to good ol' DOS-based The Incredible Machine (1992), although with gorgeous 3D graphics and a sophisticated physics model.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by scavvenjahh on 25 Sep 2016, 02:16, edited 3 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 21:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Are there any levels where the extra horizontal view is used to show gameplay elements? From your screenshots, it looks like the game is just glorified pillarboxing.

Alternately, is it possible to zoom in so that gameplay elements are contained in the extra horizontal view? If so, can you take some zoomed-in comparison screenshots?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 22:22 

Are there any levels where the extra horizontal view is used to show gameplay elements? From your screenshots, it looks like the game is just glorified pillarboxing.

Alternately, is it possible to zoom in so that gameplay elements are contained in the extra horizontal view? If so, can you take some zoomed-in comparison screenshots?

This is exactly the same thing as with armadillo run, There isnt really a better way to do it. The game play needs to be confined within the box. and trying to move around while building something is not fun

Peggle is another one that I was looking at that only has one 4:3 resolution But I could not think of a way that it would work supporting both widescreen and 4:3 natively (I.E. non anamorphic)

To answer your question though yes like armadillo run you can zoom in/out and around but its not optimal to play zoomed in.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 22:40 
Editors
Editors

Well of course the levels take place in a square area (which is often the middle part of a "wall") sitting in front of a background image. However you can zoom in very close as well as pan/tilt so ws lets you see more of the game, really - especially when elements are scattered around every corner of the play area. Being able to watch your entire contraptions at work from dramatic angles (instead of zooming out and/or moving around to follow the action) is a treat. The level I chose is certainly not the best to demonstrate this, but here's a comparison from a more interesting angle : more "useless" (I'd say "immersive") scenery on the left, more game elements on the right in widescreen.

1024x768

1280x800

Edit : point blank comparison. Just more stuff in sight.

1024x768

1280x800

I'll probably post a nice set of comparison screenies in the proper section one of these days.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 23:45 
Insiders
Insiders

Grade: B+

CCE: 100%

Stretched 2D elements in 16:9 s a blemish.