Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pure
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 20:09 
Editors
Editors

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Pure

Pure is an arcade ATV racing game. It lets you build and upgrade your quads piece by piece and drive them around multiple-track circuits in outdoors locations. Catch some big air, perform surreal tricks and use nitro boost as you compete against a dozen AI opponents. The game also features both LAN and online multiplayer modes.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by scavvenjahh on 06 Oct 2014, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 22:15 
Editors
Editors

Sorry for double-posting, what follows is just so... "out of template". Read this if you're interested in further details or take it as a testament to the effort I put into this particular DR :P

Like probably some other recent cross-platform titles, Pure has a tricky way to deal with aspect ratios : 3D and FMV look best in 16:9, while the ubiquitous stretched 2D elements make the game look "not quite right". The design of most 2D elements is pretty clever too, and it often requires a sharp eye to find out which aspect ratio is "correct" for each element of a picture on screen. I think the makers of Pure realized that although 16:9 is the natural aspect ratio for 'next-gen' consoles versions and their HD resolutions, it was much less common than 4:3 on the PC. So they probably re-designed 2D elements to make sure they wouldn't look too weird in 4:3, while the game itself and video files remain 'HD'. Here are more comparison screenies to hopefully demonstrate this better than my clunky words.

ATV selection screen : 3D Hor+/2D stretch. Then again, the coloured bolts on the 'stat screws' look better in widescreen than in 4:3 to me.

Track selection screen : seems to stretch... but only the upper-layer 2D elements (world map, 'Freestyle' circle...) do ! The bink video file looks exactly the same as the background of the 1360x768 shot. The mountains, clouds and trees are too narrow in 4:3, even though the photo's white frame seems to have more "familiar" proportions than in widescreen.

Loading screens : you'll come across a lot of these in Pure - before as well as after races. And you'll see loads of those rotating gears that look like potatoes in widescreen...

Garage : although the background video (moving black lines and arabesques) is really another 16:9 FMV, this screen would make you think 4:3 is the real aspect ratio intended for the game... Then you'd do some racing and realize it can't be. 2D's a liar in Pure !

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 02:43 
Insiders
Insiders

I would say the stretching 2D screens count as minor singleplayer anomalies. I assume the stretching does not interfere with gameplay?

Calculated grade: C
Potential grade: B

Major unresolved issues:
Is 1280x768 supported?

Minor unresolved issues:
Are 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200 supported?

Stretched HUD, 2D screens, and FMVs are blemishes.

CCE: 88.5%

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 14:44 
Editors
Editors

All these and more confirmed, check the Supported resolutions section.
1440x900 not natively present in the options, I had to create this res in nvidia cp. The game then supports it no problem.

Again I'd like to stress out how bad the racing feels in all 4:3 resolutions. In a game full of sharp turns, big jumps, vehicles with little grip, opponents everywhere, using a unique camera view with lots of inertia, the obviously Hor-/Vert- FOV is a drag, even though 2D elements (except the numerous videos!) look better in that format.

Being an XBox360 game first, this game was designed for 16:9 widescreen first and foremost. [...] Yup, as far as I know this is actually the first PC game where 4:3 has flaws and widescreen is correct - again a results of it's console origins.

Despite the differences between Pure and Lost Planet (HUD...), this seems to apply here, too.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 18:33 
Insiders
Insiders

1440x900 not natively present in the options, I had to create this res in nvidia cp. The game then supports it no problem.

Games usually don't support non-native resolutions unless your graphics card is configured to handle them. But if it worked fine after you manually created that resolution, it should work fine on 1440x900 native monitors too.

Grade is now B.

Also, I tried getting the demo to test those resolutions myself, but the thing refused to install - after clicking the final "next" button it just plays "Woman" and shows a static background and does absolutely nothing. Sort of a moot point now, but a broken demo installer is pretty sloppy.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 11:42 
Editors
Editors

Ask Paddy, he's got a lot to say about this demo :lol: The res is limited to 800x600, so broken or not, it's just a waste of time.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 01:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, I have to love the "UrbanDictionary" folder included with the demo data files. If I ever feel the need to curse in Polish, I'll know where to go to brush up on it. Even if some of the bad words in the USA dictionary are a bit on the tame side like "boob" and "hell" and "underwear."

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 16:55 
Editors
Editors

Yeah... I'm sure parents are relieved to know that "Disney bans underwear" :lol:

Surround section updated, and here are more screenies for comparison with the widescreen ones...

Post subject: Re: Pure
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010, 14:01 

Hello, please how can I change the game resolution in the demo version? There is no in-game settings, only this:

1024*768 is not enough, I want 1440*900 :(