Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Space
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 07:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: A

Read Full Detailed Report - Dead Space

Dead Space is a third-person survival horror-action video game, developed by EA Redwood Shores for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows. The player takes on the role of an engineer named Isaac Clarke, who battles a polymorphic, virus-like, alien infestation called the 'Corruption', which turns humans into grotesque alien monsters called 'Necromorphs',on board a stricken interstellar mining ship.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by MobsterOO7 on 01 Feb 2016, 21:53, edited 6 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 03:56 
Insiders
Insiders

One question - in the "cut-scenes" is it possible to move your head around?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 04:06 
Insiders
Insiders

One question - in the "cut-scenes" is it possible to move your head around?
The only "cut-scene" I have encountered so far is the intro, and in the intro you can move the camera; but the movement is limited, you can't look behind you.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 05:13 
Insiders
Insiders

You can actually rotate the camera around in a complete circle during certain parts of the introduction. It uses the in-game engine and scales horizontally like the rest of the game.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 10:30 
Insiders
Insiders

IIRC the part when you can look behind you with the camera and actually see Isaac's face is only after your ride crashes at the landing dock.

The intro sequence doesn't show the black bars on the top and bottom that usually earmark what we call cutscenes, but this doesn't and that's what I have been saying all along; it mimics the behavior of the gameplay because it essentially is gameplay. The only reason I refer to this as a "cutscene" is because you can't move and the camera movement is also restricted for most of it.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 02:18 
Insiders
Insiders

If there's any analog movement allowed at all, then I don't think it counts as a cut-scene.

Calculated grade: B+
Potential grade: Certified

Major unresolved issues:
Are 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200 supported?

CCE: 89.5%

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 07:10 

I have finished the game. There are no pre-rendered cutscenes in the game - even the opening EA logo is just a 2D graphic from the game's menu system and not a Bink as with most games. There are only few moments in-game where both control of your character and the camera are locked, but the camera only pans around, the FOV doesn't change and it's hor+ like the rest of the game.

I can confirm 1680x1050, 1920x1080, and 1920x1200 are functional.

Certified EA game folks!

As an aside, I found Dead Space to be a fantastic game and very nice break from typical PC shooters. I strongly encourage anyone who doesn't get too upset by a little gore to pick the game game.

My favorite part of the game is that there's no HUD. Your health is represented by that segmented bar on the back of the suit, all weapons use laser sights for aiming, and the inventory and map are displayed as 3D holograms in the game world.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 02:21 
Insiders
Insiders

There are only few moments in-game where both control of your character and the camera are locked, but the camera only pans around, the FOV doesn't change and it's hor+ like the rest of the game.

I don't suppose you could provide two comparison screenshots for completeness sake?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 03:54 

I don't suppose you could provide two comparison screenshots for completeness sake?

Based on where my only save is (just before the end of the game), the only screenshots I could provide from a point where the camera isn't at the over the shoulder position would constitute a massive spoiler. Plus, because they're panning shots, I wouldn't be able to get the screens at the exact same position anyway, making direct comparison difficult.

Don't get too picky on this one; it's the gameplay cam, it just momentarily pans away on vary rare occasions, there's no cutaway or anything like that. The gameplay shots above demonstrate it's behavior suitably.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 10:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I have just realized that there are moments that we can call cutscenes with certainty. The transition is just so seamless that I forgot all about them. I'm editing the first post to include screenshots of the one nearest to the beginning.