Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Penny Arcade Adventures
PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 02:23 

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Penny Arcade Adventures

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One is a comedic RPG based on characters from the popular gaming webcomic Penny Arcade, and set in a stylized 1920s America. You take control of a character of your own creation, and join up with Gabe and Tycho to chase a giant robot of mysterious origin (and with a fetish for fruit) that crushes your home. The game was developed by Hothead games and carefully presided over by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the creators of Penny Arcade. It's an episodic game and is expected to have at least four episodes.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by Sweetz on 13 Nov 2013, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 04:33 
Insiders
Insiders

==Supported resolutions==

What about 1280x768? That's one of the base resolutions we test.

==HUD stretch==

Can you get a comparison shot here that demonstrates the HUD not stretching? I know it's common sense that it wouldn't, but screenshots are better than common sense.

==Cut-scenes==

We need comparison shots here anyway, even if they use the 3D engine.

Calculated grade: C
Potential grade: C+

Lack of 16:9 support is a consequential flaw.

Cranky's coverage estimate: 97%

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 04:53 
Founder
Founder

I would say this supports 16:9 resolutions. If we certify a game like Assassin's Creed for 16:9 anamorphic, why wouldn't 16:10 anamorphic get the same treatment.

To me, "not supporting" is like the Narnia game, where there is no possibility to play on a 16:10 resolution.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 05:13 
Insiders
Insiders

If we certify a game like Assassin's Creed for 16:9 anamorphic, why wouldn't 16:10 anamorphic get the same treatment.

Short answer: 16:9 anamorphic adheres to our "wider is better" mantra, or at least it does up to 16:9 which is as high as we care about. 16:10 anamorphic doesn't.

Slightly longer answer: The WSGF Certification Requirements states the requirements for proper anamorphic behavior. The game content must be at least 16:9, and PAA doesn't meet this requirement. The criteria does provide a way around this requirement - a 16:10 anamorphic can still be certified if it reverts to hor + behavior when the resolution AR exceeds the content AR, but PAA doesn't do this - it pillarboxes instead.

To me, "not supporting" is like the Narnia game, where there is no possibility to play on a 16:10 resolution.

And Narnia got a D to show for it.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 05:19 
Founder
Founder

Dunno. Just doesn't seem right. Maybe we need to review the Cert requirements. At the least I wouldn't call this a C+ game. Seems like games with worse support get B grades. This has Hor+ support, and a non-stretched HUD.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 07:19 

Ok Cranky, I'll get some hud and cutscene shots when I'm able.

As far as the fixed 16:10 aspect ratio, I see both points of view, but I ultimately agree with Ibrin that the grade should be higher.

For one, the majority of widescreen PC monitors are 16:10 (thought I suppose HDTV use for PC display is increasing); but the clincher for me is how would it be graded if is was 4:3 anamorphic.

Here's my thought process on that: Let's say it was 4:3 anamorphic instead of 16:10 anamorphic (e.g. it supported widescreen resolutions natively, but they were all pillarboxed), what grade would it get? Looking at the grading criteria, I'd assume the same grade, C. It's not stretched, it doesn't hinder gameplay, it doesn't require any edits/hacks. It may sound odd, but playing a game 4:3 pillarboxed seems to meet all of our criteria for C.

Here's thing though, 16:10 anamorphic obviously isn't an issue for 16:10 users, and for 16:9 users (me being one of them), 16:10 pillarboxed is certainly way more preferable than 4:3 pillarboxed. So it doesn't seem quite right that 16:10 anamorphic game should get the same grade as a 4:3 anamorphic game.

I guess what I'm saying is that as a 16:9 user, it doesn't really bug me that much. There's a minimal amount of unused screen space, and it's much less egregious to me than vert-, which is also a C. Regardless of the technical theory, our grading system is really all about rating how much the game is impacted in practical reality right? In practical reality, I'd say the impact to 16:9 users is minimal. Maybe other 16:9 users would dislike it more, but it's minimal to me. So I'm with Ibrin that it should be at least a B.

PostPosted: 22 May 2008, 23:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Let's say it was 4:3 anamorphic instead of 16:10 anamorphic (e.g. it supported widescreen resolutions natively, but they were all pillarboxed), what grade would it get?

There are two games we list that work this way, and both get D's.

It may sound odd, but playing a game 4:3 pillarboxed seems to meet all of our criteria for C.

It defeats the purpose of using widescreen in the first place, which makes it qualify as a "damaging" flaw, so such a game gets a D.

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 01:48 

HUD screenshots uploaded

It may sound odd, but playing a game 4:3 pillarboxed seems to meet all of our criteria for C.

It defeats the purpose of using widescreen in the first place, which makes it qualify as a "damaging" flaw, so such a game gets a D.

Makes sense. What about my last point though, that subjectively this is a minor flaw?

Like I said, I'd actually much rather play a game 16:10 pillarboxed on my 16:9 screen, than have the screen filled but vert-. I consider the impact to the game minor. I guess you disagree?

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 02:25 
Insiders
Insiders

What about my last point though, that subjectively this is a minor flaw?

At the time I made the grading system, I thought it was a consequential flaw, and nobody initially disagreed. I still think it is. If you want to petition for an adjustment to the grading system, the "Site Updates & Requests" is the right place for that.

As a side note, I'm curious as to how the XBLA version handles 16:9 mode.

Also, since this is an episodic game, DR's for future episodes won't be necessary if they do not differ in their WS handling significantly. But if you follow the series, then it would be helpful if you post here from time to time just to let us know if anything's changed or not.

PostPosted: 23 May 2008, 03:34 
Founder
Founder

At the time I made the grading system, I thought it was a consequential flaw, and nobody initially disagreed. I still think it is. If you want to petition for an adjustment to the grading system, the "Site Updates & Requests" is the right place for that.

At the time the grading system was made, I'm not sure how many people truly understood that level of nuance. I certainly didn't. But, now that we have an example to look at and discuss, I think it's easier for everyone to understand.

I've posted a thread to discuss a possible grading change here - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13785