Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mafia: Detailed Report
PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 23:55 

OK, I tested 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 too. Mafia just with the 1.2 patch. No FOV modifications, etc. I checked the tutorial so here are the screenshots.

16:10

16:9

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 06:34 
Editors
Editors

Well while im waiting for Mafia II next month, i decided to try the free version of Mafia from Direct2Drive with Nvidia Surround, and to my surprise, Mafia is HOR+ out of the box on surround, despite being listed as Vert- in the mgl here at wsgf, and has even a centralized HUD.
Its important to note that its still Vert- on widescreen resolutions, as you can check in the screenshots below (contribution by revoc).
Another issue is that the HUD elements are a bit stretched on surround, as you can check in the screenshots, but nothing really serious.
Im running the game on W7 64 BITs, and everything else is perfect, mouse, sounds, menus, FPS, etc ... - its strongly recommended to play this game again on surround. :rockout

4:3

16:10

16:9

48:10

Settings (pre-launcher)

Settings in game

Detailed mouse settings

Overlayed Map on Surround

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 12:43 
Editors
Editors

Well as i posted here - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19884 - Mafia now is HOR+ out of the box on surround, at least the D2D version. It even features a central HUD.
Please note that its still Vert- on widescreen resolutions, as you can check in the screenshots i posted in the topic mentioned above.
Another issue is that the HUD elements are a bit stretched on surround, but nothing really serious.
Its interesting to note that GeneralAdmission sent me a PM, his retail version clearly misses the changes that were made and included in the D2D version, allowing great surround support to this awesome old title (no patch was released afaik).

The game is free if you pre-order Mafia II, imo its as good as GTA.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 14:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Gaah. Proper hor + support makes me happy. Not being able to have it without pre-ordering the sequel makes me sad, and quite conflicted, as I don't see how we can make this our "endorsed" solution.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 14:25 
Editors
Editors

Gaah. Proper hor + support makes me happy. Not being able to have it without pre-ordering the sequel makes me sad, and quite conflicted, as I don't see how we can make this our "endorsed" solution.

I downloaded it from d2d yesterday without pre-ordering Mafia II, it seems someone there made a mistake hehe :D , anyway now you actually must pre-order Mafia II to get it for free.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Damn. Glad i checked to see if my old original disc version would run on multi-monitor before i tried to hunt it down and dig it out.. arg.

And upon searching for it on the D2D site, it doesn't show in the search results - just the new one.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 03:08 
Founder
Founder

It's still available on Steam. Maybe they will have it for sale after the Mafia II launch.

Post subject: Mafia [FULL][Hack][Hor+]
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 15:48 

As you know, by default Mafia has centered-hud, but the fov is wrong.

1. You need MafiaDataXTractor 1.1, BScriptView 6.0 (maybe 5.0)
2. Extract MISSION data with MafiaDataXTractor
3. Edit each "scene2.bin" file in all folders in "Mafia/Missions" with BSV6.0 - add to "GameInitEnd" script this string "CAMERA_SETFOV XX". Check FovCalc (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.phpfor your vertical) fov. For 3x1920x1080 vfov is 74.
4. Remember! Each file in each mission folders.
5. Save Results

This is real nice in Eyefinity! :rockout

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 23:17 

Hi i am the guy hwo made courrent repprot for mafia and also creator of widescreen fix and there are some things that i would want to clear out for those who are interested.
1.The Direct2Drive version of the game, although Vert- in widescreen, is natively Hor+ in multi-mon.
Few years back at the time of a premiere of mafia 2 some people thought that Direct2Drive version had implemeted multi-mon support.
Actually that is not true. Direct2Drive version is exactly the same as any other version out there.
As a matter of fact mafia comes with everything that is necessary for a proper multi-mon support expect for fov(always stays the same despite resolution changes)
Direct2Drive version seems to have been fixed for multi-mon support just because Mafia's default fov(which is 65 if i can remember correctly) is quite close to a proper 48:9 fov wich is 70.4. So without looking really closely there is no that much difference.
There are couple of things that need to be corrected in the report.
Widescreen Method is described as a hack but basically it is just a simple fov edit in a text file.
Hud is Stretched in regular widescreen resulotion and it is also streched in multi-mon but onlly as far as regular one goes other than that it is a proper centered hud.
Last thing is the process of making the patch. I have no programing skills, so the best i could do is just manually edit every single file and put it for others to download.
I guess that proper way to do it would be making a tool that does it automatically but that would require someone smarte than me.

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 11:04 
Editors
Editors

Hey spiken0, thanks a lot - for the fix and for all the details.
The solution may be based on "simple" edits, but it still requires specific third-party apps and/or big files, so it's actually closer to a hack.
You're right about the HUD, though so I changed it to Optimized in MM.