Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2007, 17:48 

If game developers make the game zoom in one step each time the resolution is changed, then the game will be hor+. It seems to be so easy to me. But why would they do it, when the gameplay experience doe not feel discriminated (vert-)?

1) Because they probably don't care about WSGF's broken rating system.

And more importantly...

2) Because it's not wrong! Who cares what the starting zoom level is? Anyone who actually plays this game will know that one constantly zooms in and out. The aspect ratio is the same, and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2007, 19:24 
Insiders
Insiders

I think anyone who has actually played Supreme Commander will immediately conclude that it's better in widescreen.

And I think that anyone who actually has some understanding about how grading works will immediately conclude that a C+ is better than nothing.

And it's clear to me that you are not interested in a rational debate. You are just bitching about Supreme Commander getting a C+. This is not the appropriate forum for this kind of debate, nor is the manner of your posts appropriate for any kind of rational debate. I've been open to constructive criticism about the grading system since the beginning, but your ranting does not qualify.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2007, 11:26 

Now I started playing again, after getting the hint on HUD rearranging (By using ALT + arrow-up/down). This made me aware of a major improvement for widescreen users

if you patch it there is also a reduced ui you can access by using alt-up/down...

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2007, 11:54 

Don`t suppose there is any way to make this game run in 1280x720?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 15:58 
Founder
Founder

I'm going to open this can of worms one more time, hopefully to settle it in everyone's mind. It has been proposed that Supreme Commanders does offer a larger FOV when using widescreen, with the toolbar on the side. If this provided a larger FOV, then I might be inclined to consider this something like an .ini solution to get Hor+.

Below is what I was able to find out. Everything here is at "default" dolly. The the only changes are the res and the toolbar position. I have resized the pics (as needed) to make the character's avatar the same size and position. All of the screen elements don't line up, as the angle of the POV does change slightly.

Here is an overlay comparison of 4:3 and 16:10, with the toolbar on bottom. This is obviously Vert-

Here is an overlay comparison of two 4:3 screenshots, swapping the toolbar from the bottom to the right. This provides a much larger Vertical FOV, making this Vert+

Here is an overlay comparison of two 16:10 screenshots, swapping the toolbar from the bottom to the right. This provides a much larger Vertical FOV, making this Vert+

Here is an overlay comparison of a 4:3 shot with the toolbar on the bottom, and a 16:10 shots with the toolbar on the right. This was the proposed "solution" to getting a larger FOV in widescreen. This provides a slightly larger Vertical FOV, making this Vert+. It is obvious that the increase in FOV for this comparison is much smaller than simply moving the toolbar on a 4:3 screen.

The conclusion here is that it is the change of the toolbar location that is increaseing the Vertical FOV, not the shift from 4:3 and 16:10.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 19:06 

has anyone checked if it is vert- with the new minimal ui? check this thread (scroll down a bit) for screenshots... dont have widescreen yet or id check myself

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007, 00:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm fairly certain that no matter what you do to the GUI, it will be vert - compared to a 4:3 shot with the same GUI.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007, 01:35 
Founder
Founder

I only have the demo, do I couldn't figure that out. If the Min-UI made it Hor+, the best this would get would be a B-, as it wouldn't be a "native" or consistent solution.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2007, 22:29 

Is there a way to get a custom resolution like 1776x1000 to avoid overscan on my TV?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 01:47 
Insiders
Insiders

I think your best bet would be to enable overscan compensation through your video card drivers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next