Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DEFCON
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2006, 10:23 

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - DEFCON

Defcon: Everybody Dies is the World's First Genocide'em up game from Introversion Software (The last of the bedroom programmers), developers of Uplink: Hacker Elite. In Defcon you play the role of a military Commander hidden deep within an underground bunker. Your mission is to successfully exterminate your enemy's civilian population whilst disabling their ability to attack your own. The game supports multiplayer for upto 6 players, multiplayer in demo version is restricted for 2 demo players only. Defconwas released on 29.September 2006.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by misadlouhy on 29 Jul 2013, 10:19, edited 6 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2006, 20:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I can't really give the game a grade based on the screenshots provided here; they aren't all from the same place. I actually have some screenshots myself, so I'll let you use my own.
*will post them later*

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2006, 20:58 

well, there is no way how to pause the game, if you mean those two "zoomed in" screenshots. I wanted to provide screenshots, that show the game, when you are zoomed in, but.. if you can help this report with better screenshots, why not :D otherwise, i would take better ones myself. Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2006, 21:07 

Works spectacularly in 16x10 as well!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 00:16 
Insiders
Insiders

In terms of widescreen, this game is an oddball. First of all, it's important to note that this is not a 3D game in any way. The earth in this game is not a 3D globe, it is a 2D vector rectangle where the top sides end and the left and right sides are seamlessly "connected" without forming a curve. If you can, imagine a conveyor belt where the outside of the belt has a map of the earth on it, and the underside has a length of zero.

Since the map is 100% 2D vectors, you can actually take zooming into consideration here, because in a 2D environment, moving the camera backwards is the same thing as zooming out (it's a different thing in 3D environments). Anyway, if you zoom out all the way, it is anamorphic.

But if you zoom in all the way, it's vert -.

And perhaps another way to look at the game; zooming to an intermediate level, to the point where you get ideal vertical coverage for any given situation. In this case, it is hor + (look at the right edge of each picture)

16:10, zoomed out a bit

16:9, zoomed out a bit more

In my opinion, the third example is the best representation of Defcon's widescreen handling. The second example is not a good one at all, because in any situation where widescreen is vert - and vert - is not desired, you can just zoom out a little bit to make it hor + (again, this doesn't work well in 3D games). So I think this game should be classified as "Hor +."

I think it's unlikely that anyone will disagree with me here, but just in case someone does, I'm going to wait at least 20 hours before grading so that anyone who wants to debate this has the opportunity to. If there's no controversy in 20 hours, I'll grade this and add it to the MGL.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 22:18 
Founder
Founder

I decree cranky is correct... :wink:

Also, these guys developed Darwinia, which is a certified game.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 22:56 

List of widescreen resolutions that were not tested: 1440x900, 1920x1080, 1920x1200

I've got the full version and 1440 x 900 is supported. I would imagine the others would be as well.

==Multiplayer support==

Multiplayer has not yet been tested!

At the moment there is a problem withe the Metaservers that can lead to not being able to connect to game servers. Likely due to high traffic.

There's also a bug when switching the number of audio channels from 32 to 64.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 23:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Also, these guys developed Darwinia, which is a certified game.

Although it is likely that Defcon meets certification requirements, I wouldn't make any judgements or assumptions based on previous merits. Off the top of my head, Civ IV had worse support than Civ III, Serious Sam II had worse support than Serious Sam FE and SE, and Deus Ex: Invisible War had worse support than Deus Ex.

==Multiplayer support==

Multiplayer works the same as singleplayer.

==Grading==

Calculated grade: B-
Potential grade: Certified

Major unresolved issues:
Is 1920x1080 supported?
Does the full version have any singleplayer anomalies?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 01:19 

The full version, like the demo, has no cut-scenes.

One note about the music. It cannot be turned off. If you listen closely you can hear coughs in the background. Listening to this in surround sound lends to the notion that you're deep inside a bunker watching the world being destroyed.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 03:35 

I have a Dell 2405FPW, and can verify that Defcon runs very nicely in 1920 X 1200.

It also stuck to a frame rate of 60FPS using dual 7800GT's, occasionally dropping to 55FPS when there were a lot of units, nukes and blasts going off on screen.

From playing it, I can only see that in this game having a widescreen monitor is an advantage since the world map display fits nicely onto a wide-screen.

I can't imagine how people could play it on a 1280 X 1024 monitor.