Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quake
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 01:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: C
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Quake

Quake is an FPS from iD Software. You play as a grunt who must travel to a variety of worlds through interdimensional portals and destroy a Lovecraftian horror and hundreds of minions before they can locate and overrun earth. Dark Places is a source port that has various enhancements over the official versions.
It may not be as impressive graphically as say, Tenebrae, but this port is the widescreen king of source ports, so it gets the honors here. Dark Places can be downloaded here (original Quake data is required and not included) http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by The_cranky_hermit on 14 Apr 2017, 02:04, edited 5 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 02:35 
Insiders
Insiders

TH information:
You need to edit the file "config.cfg", preferably with textpad. If you don't have any expansion packs, you will find this file in the folder "Id1." If you do have expansion packs, you'll also find it in the folders "HIPNOTIC" and "ROGUE," and you'll need to edit all three of them to make TH work in all three games.

In config.cfg, find these lines:
vid_height "xxx"
vid_width "xxxx"

Edit them to set your resolution. Be careful not to mix up height and width.

In addition, find this line:
vid_conheight "xxx"

If it's not there, add it in. Set it to one third of your vertical resolution, rounding to the nearest integer. For instance, if you run 3840x1024, this would be 341. You're doing this so that the HUD doesn't stretch.

1024x768 4:3, vid_height "768", vid_width "1024", vid_conheight "256"

1920x698 "Ben-Hur" mode, vid_height "768", vid_width "1024", vid_conheight "256"

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 07:16 

Hey, I'm looking for the music patch, described here:
http://www.wsgf.org/news/music-patch-quake-quake-ii

where can I download it? I'm playing quake but it is sad without the music :( Thanks!

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 18:05 
Editors
Editors

The music pack is right there, in the id Super Pack Guide 8-)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2014, 20:00 

scavvenjahh wrote:
The music pack is right there, in the id Super Pack Guide 8-)

looks awesome, but I'm playing quake 1 :D anything similar?

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 15:06 
Editors
Editors

Why, sure ! http://www.wsgf.org/article/id-super-pa ... uide-quake
Maybe I should've mentioned earlier: you can return to the guide's table of contents through the link at the top of each page, or from the Games DB menu on the site's top nav bar. Man, quakers are getting ooold. :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 20:45 

awesome, thank you!

It seems I experienced an error while installing -- first it wanted pak0.pak in a /rogue directory, and mine was in /id1, so I created a /rogue directory and copied it over, then it tells me my pak0.pak is an unexpected filesize. Looking around on google, the file size is the same as is expected for the game, but I notice that on the main Quake page on WSGF, it says it uses an Ultimate Quake version, which appears to be provided through Steam. This is consistent with the instructions you provides me that instruct me to navigate to /steamapps, which confused me at the time. My copy of quake is the original game files off an old CDROM, activated with DarkPlaces, not the new steam version which requires me to pay to play the game, which is senseless because I have the CDROM right here from when I used to play it when I was 10.

Is there some way I can activate this music using the original files, not the new steam version?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 17:42 
Editors
Editors

Ok, so you want a music patch for the retail game. The music patch hosted here is for the Steam version only; DarkPlaces or not is not what makes a difference.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24091
The_cranky_hermit wrote:
I wouldn't have expected that either. In any event, there isn't anything I can do other than recommend buying Quake Pack Complete on Steam.

It shouldn't be a problem for you, though: if you have the CD, you don't need a patch ! Quake's music is played from the CD as you play - so just put it in the drive, or create a disc image and mount it to a virtual drive, or see 'How to install a soundtrack in ogg format' in the DarkPlaces Readme.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 22:00 

scavvenjahh wrote:
Ok, so you want a music patch for the retail game. The music patch hosted here is for the Steam version only; DarkPlaces or not is not what makes a difference.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=24091
The_cranky_hermit wrote:
I wouldn't have expected that either. In any event, there isn't anything I can do other than recommend buying Quake Pack Complete on Steam.

It shouldn't be a problem for you, though: if you have the CD, you don't need a patch ! Quake's music is played from the CD as you play - so just put it in the drive, or create a disc image and mount it to a virtual drive, or see 'How to install a soundtrack in ogg format' in the DarkPlaces Readme.

The problem is, I don't want to play it straight from the CD -- the Dark Places mod improves the visuals, controls, and playability from the original to a great extent -- it is this mod that has me returning to the game. I'll check out this soundtrack post. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 17:47 
Editors
Editors

What I'm saying is: put the Quake cd in the drive *when you play DarkPlaces*, and the music will play. Mod + original music. Simple as that.