Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 18:19 

Widescreen Grade: Unsupported
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: Unsupported
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004)

Sid Meier's Pirates is a remake of a classic strategy game from 1987 (Sid Meier's Pirates), featuring an intoxicating blend of action, strategy, role-playing, and fun. Pirates is separated into several mini-games requiring different skills, as well as an overall "sailing map" mode where the player navigates around the Caribbean, looking for things to do. Sailing technique, evasion (running from guards), naval gunnery, turn-based strategy, dancing with the governor's daughter, fencing and strategic planning are all skills needed to succeed in Pirates.
During the game, players can acquire items and special crew members which make some mini-games less skill-dependent, but must also choose one of five different skills at the start, which the game will give them an advantage in.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by misadlouhy on 13 Nov 2013, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 18:51 

What is the game grade?

F+ or D- or a simply F.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 21:28 

[quote]What is the game grade?

F+ or D- or a simply F.

Are you sure? That is not much :-).

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 22:17 
Editors
Editors

It doesn't really have much in the way of widescreen suppport... ;)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 00:41 
Insiders
Insiders

The grade is D if the game is even playable when the top and bottom gets cut off.
The grade is F if the game is unplayable at those times.
It's your call, but just from the screenshots, the game looks unplayable.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 09:23 

I choosed D-, because "widescreen cut-off" does not affect the sea view (main part of the game where you can use keyboard and switch off keypad hud that is affected by cut-off..., config.ini file: KeypadStatus = 0) and it is playable. However, you will notice this cut-off everywhere in the game, and i would rather play this game in 4:3 stretched (that is actually what seting the game to widescreen in config.ini does except hud and sometimes view cut-off) than in widescreen, so it somewhere in between F and D. F+ or D-, i choosed D-. So Sid has his lucky day today!

Edit: important! I took another screenshots, and realized, that the game does not cut top and bottom of the screen in sea sailing, sword fighting, sea fihting, dancing... it stretches the picture horizontally and it positions the hud and text in wrong place on the screen, so what you get is stretched picture (in dynamic part of the game) and top and SOMETIMES bottom cut off (in static parts of the game). So here you go, i will document this with sceenshots soon.

If you have any comment or if you want to change the game's grade, please comment.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 22:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Then it gets a D.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2006, 01:32 

Hmm, bummer. I was just about to reinstall this game and enjoy it in widescreen goodness.
Im a huge fan of the gameplay, i just love customizing a ship and keeping the crew happy.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2008, 02:27 

Using the Universal Resolution Changer v2.0 tool created by Racer S will give you the desired resolution that your looking for. For me the game runs and looks great at 1920x1080 however the menus still do not work correctly. I've looked into using a hex editor on the .EXE file but unfortunately this not my forte. I normally run the game at a 1400x1050 resolution and then stretch the image but while using Racer S' application the game although runs at 1920x1080 the menus still are not in there normal locations.

For example, I ran the game with this fix at a resolution of 1400x1050. Racer S' fix works great but the menu are fitted on the screen using the 1400x1050 resolution. My guess is that the game still uses the original configuration file to display what resolution the game will display the menus with. Of course matching the resolution with Racer S' fix will only produce the same results are before.

Picture:

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=36561656an6.jpg

Tool:

http://www.tocaedit.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=88

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 06:05 

So I've gone back and looked at this in order to append the Triplehead information.

This is what I've found:
Adjusting the configuration .ini file yields a stretched screen with a cut off HUD as follows:

Faux TH (16:8.53)

But alf717 (the poster before me) was right, using Racer_S's universal resolution changer (version 2) and keeping the configuration .ini file at a 4:3 aspect ratio resolution, the HUD will stay onscreen. Changing the configuration .ini file to the aspect ratio of the desired resolution will cut off the HUD.

With Hack:
(.ini at 4:3)

4:3 (Regular Implementation)

(.ini at 16:10)

16:10 (Regular Implementation)