Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Homeworld 2
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 22:19 

Widescreen Grade: B
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: Incomplete
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Homeworld 2

Homeworld 2 is the 2nd game in the Series by Relic & Sierra. The Homeworld series is a Scf-Fi space-based RTS. It was (and largely still is) unique in it's integration of easy-to-navigate 3D battles.

4:3

16:10

16:9

3x1

Last edited by X-Warrior on 28 Feb 2014, 15:28, edited 4 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 23:30 
Insiders
Insiders

And now the commentary:

==Singleplayer anomalies==
Can you show comparison screenshots of stretching 2D elements (other than the HUD) here?

==Grading==
The grade is C+, due to the somewhat obscure solution. It would potentially be a B if the solution were native.

Minor unresolved issues:
What you described is a bug, not an unresolved issue. An unresolved issue is a portion of the report that you are not 100% sure about.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2006, 00:29 

Because most of the interface elements are fairly plain and square in shape, I wasn't really bothered by it being streched. In fact, I didn't even notice it when I played. So the widescreen support may not be technically great, but it's good in practice, imho.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2006, 18:59 

And now the commentary:

==Singleplayer anomalies==
Can you show comparison screenshots of stretching 2D elements (other than the HUD) here?

Done.

==Grading==
The grade is C+, due to the somewhat obscure solution. It would potentially be a B if the solution were native.

Actually, Homeworld 2 was already filled in in your rubrick, and got full score for native support. Should this be lowered then ? If yes, how much ?

Minor unresolved issues:
What you described is a bug, not an unresolved issue. An unresolved issue is a portion of the report that you are not 100% sure about.

Removed. Images used for menu stretch example ;)

Because most of the interface elements are fairly plain and square in shape, I wasn't really bothered by it being streched. In fact, I didn't even notice it when I played. So the widescreen support may not be technically great, but it's good in practice, imho.

Indeed... I've been thinking about the system that's used around here concerning widescreen scores and it's quite unforgiving. There is really nothing detrimental in this game, and it plays perfect in any resolution, yet it only gets a C+... Agreed it shouldn't be certified because there are some minor issues, but C+ is rather low.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2006, 19:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Update: I've found a better solution for enabling widescreen. If you can update your report to use this solution, the calculated grade becomes a B-, with a potential grade of B. Minor unresolved issues would just be the untested resolutions.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2006, 09:41 

I noticed your post :)

Nice, I'll be using that from now on I think.

I hope you don't mind the quote in the original post :)

Updated.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2006, 05:03 

The command line solution is so much easier and simpler than your supposedly "better" solution for the average person...

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2006, 06:25 
Insiders
Insiders

The only solution that could be described as easy and simple for the "average" user would be enabling widescreen via the options screen. But to a widescreen gaming veteran, editing config files is second nature, while command line solutions are unusual and a little awkward. Plus, once you edit the config file, you can just launch the game by doubleclicking the executable. You don't have to keep launching the game via command line or have to use a special shortcut.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 13:49 

The only solution that could be described as easy and simple for the "average" user would be enabling widescreen via the options screen. But to a widescreen gaming veteran, editing config files is second nature, while command line solutions are unusual and a little awkward. Plus, once you edit the config file, you can just launch the game by doubleclicking the executable. You don't have to keep launching the game via command line or have to use a special shortcut.

Yep, though I simply edited the shortcut on my desktop to include the correct resolutions.
And the command line solution was ideal for taking all those different resolution screenshots ;)
But I have to agree with The_cranky_hermit, once you got stuff up and running, the cfg file is the best solution, as it's more permanent.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2006, 15:08 

Yes I agree, I was just saying for the average dude it's much simpler to just right click the shortcut and add a few words...