Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2007, 03:12 

I can confirm that this game also supports 1360x768 on my monitor. I have the original Version updated to the latest patch (v1.64).

Without the patch it does not support it on the original version, but patched it does. CFomplete support via the video options page inside the game. Very cool. 8)

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 19:03 

The exact FOV to use for a 16:9 screen is:

Cfg.FOV = 111.002536

And this truly is a terrific game, both single and multiplayer!
8)

For standard widescreen users (like me), who are probably wondering what the exact FOV for a 16:10 screen is, I've used X-ray Doc's formula to work it out (and save you all from the horrors of Inverse Tangents etc. :D)

The exact FOV to use for a 16:10 screen is:

Cfg.FOV = 105.2686

X-ray Doc's FOV formula:
http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8444

Painkiller is one of my all-time favourite shooters, and it's even better in glorious widescreen :D.
I love the weapons, monsters, level design, graphics, gameplay, physics, I could rant on about this game for hours... :)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 00:22 
Insiders
Insiders

There's an FOV Calc on this very website.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 02:25 

Glad it worked for you too. Another note for Painkiller players: this game has serious issues with multicore CPUs, so it does not work always fine. I posted before I had to force vSync to get it to work properly, but it does not fix it.

The only way to get rid of problems on modern CPUs is to set game affinity to one core, either by alt-tabbing when starting the game and doing it with task manager, or by using imagecfg.exe util (google it and you will find it) to permanently set affinity to one core on Painkiller.exe. I now it's kinda offtopic in a widescreen forum, but it may be useful for people playing with modern computers.

This is an issue with MANY games and simulators. If you have problems with ***anything at all*** I highly recommend that you set the affinity to one core before you change anything. I've seen this issue so much I don't even think about it anymore. It's the first thing i do after reloading WHQL drivers when i mess with freinds systems that are having issues. The reason i load WHQL drivers first is because corrupted drivers or non WHQL drivers can cause a myriad of problems and I have to narrow the field down first by using standard drivers.

If you have a Core Duo and you have issues with any game set that affinity to one core first. If you don't, you may just make a bunch of changes you'll ahve to undo later.

Also, when messing with stuff like this, make one change at a time, then test, then make another, then test. if you make multiple changes you won't know what fixed it.

Hope this helps some folks.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 12:17 

how do you configure this game when it's over STEAM?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 16:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Probably the same way. You'll need to figure out what the GameDir is. All of my non-Valve games in Steam are located in SteamAppscommon. Try looking there. If you see a folder that looks like it contains your game, then that's your GameDir.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 08:20 

I'm running Painkiller Battle Out of Hell v 1.64 (I think that's the latest). Where can I select 1920x1080 as my resolution? In the options menu it only goes up to 1440x900. I tried changing it in the config file, but after I got to the menu, I found it defaulted to 320x240, hehe...

Is there a patch later than 1.64 out?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 22:29 
Insiders
Insiders

What's your display's native res?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 05:34 

What's your display's native res?

1920x1080

When I originally copied the game over, the native res on the current computer was 1440x900 (laptop), but I never ran the game before using the HDMI output to my 1920x1080 screen, so I don't know why that would even make a difference...

And by "copy" I mean I copied the original folders over from another computer rather than re-installing it fresh, patching it, and moving the save games over. The computer it was copied from used a CRT monitor, so native res wasn't an issue, it went up to 1600x1200.

That's generally worked fine for all other games, but maybe this requires a fresh install?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2008, 05:43 

1920x1080

When I originally copied the game over, the native res on the current computer was 1440x900 (laptop), but I never ran the game before using the HDMI output to my 1920x1080 screen, so I don't know why that would even make a difference...

And by "copy" I mean I copied the original folders over from another computer rather than re-installing it fresh, patching it, and moving the save games over. The computer it was copied from used a CRT monitor, so native res wasn't an issue, it went up to 1600x1200.

That's generally worked fine for all other games, but maybe this requires a fresh install?

Uh yeah, that is not a great habit to have. Many games use the registry to store settings and data. And some store files outside of the game directory. None of which would be copied over.