Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2006, 02:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: C
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Jedi Knight 2 is a Star Wars-themed FPS/action game from Raven Software and LucasArts. You play as Kyle Katarn, a mercenary with Jedi powers, and battle the Imperial Remnant with your blasters, lightsaber, and force powers.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by czarman on 13 Jul 2017, 15:32, edited 7 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 03:49 

It seems this method might cause your shots to land slightly off from the crosshair... someone mentioned this on another forum and I tested it. Clean install results in accurate shots, then applying the widescreen method results in shots to the right and down of the target reticule.

Anyone else experience this?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 21:32 

I've been playing this and Jedi Academy on my netbook so I can confirm that it works in 1024x600 perfectly.

PostPosted: 19 May 2010, 17:07 

Hello

I followed the instructions you provided and the game worked (in 1366x768). However, when I start playing and want to use quicksave by pressing F12 or go to the menu with ESC, it crashes to the desktop and displays ""Z_Free(): Corrupt zone tail!".

While trying to find a solution, I managed to find out that, oddly enough, it doesn't crash when I first enter the console and then use ESC to go to game menu. Also, in 'normal' (i.e. supported by the game) resolutions, it all works fine.

Can somebody please help me solve this problem? I can provide a report from "Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast SP Console" if it would help. It's quite long.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 13:02 

It's such a shame nobody plays Jedi Knight 2 anymore.

Anyway, for those who do and might encounter problems similar to mine, I found a partial solution. Namely, running the game in window (by setting the relevant setting in the config file to "0") made it work properly even in the odd 1366x768 resolution. The only drawback was the status bar at the top, but on the other hand it also enabled alt-tabbing without the use of 3rd party programs.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 09:01 

Hello

I followed the instructions you provided and the game worked (in 1366x768). However, when I start playing and want to use quicksave by pressing F12 or go to the menu with ESC, it crashes to the desktop and displays ""Z_Free(): Corrupt zone tail!".

While trying to find a solution, I managed to find out that, oddly enough, it doesn't crash when I first enter the console and then use ESC to go to game menu. Also, in 'normal' (i.e. supported by the game) resolutions, it all works fine.

Can somebody please help me solve this problem? I can provide a report from "Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast SP Console" if it would help. It's quite long.

I personally get that error even when i play the game. I encounter it after i shoot that door with the turret(in the first stage, the very first turret you come across), when I try to climb out of the turret, i get that crash with that error message. I have no idea what to do, so I`ll just have to hang on and hope that somebody finds a better way to play this game in WS.
I`m curious though as to what does this line do:
seta r_mode "x"
Anyway, I guess I`ll keep running in 1024x768 for now.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 01:34 

Having the same issue. Here is my crash dump in case anyone has a clue. I don't.

JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameDatabaseassets5.pk3 (4 files)
C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameDatabaseassets2.pk3 (289 files)
C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameDatabaseassets1.pk3 (8011 files)
C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameDatabaseassets0.pk3 (6674 files)
C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameData/base

----------------------
14978 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing jk2config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium IV

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Working directory: C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars JK II Jedi OutcastGameData
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:Windowssystem32opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode -1: 1366 768 FS
...using colorsbits of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (1366x768)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...125 PFDs found
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 9 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
*** IGNORING OPENGL EXTENSIONS ***

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce 310M/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 3.3.0
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_gpu_program4_1 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_transform_feedback2 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 8192
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 0

PIXELFORMAT: color(32-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(8-bits)
MODE: -1, 1366 x 768 fullscreen hz:60
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU: Intel Pentium IV
rendering primitives: multiple glArrayElement
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
picmip: 1
texture bits: 32
lightmap texture bits: 0
multitexture: disabled
compiled vertex arrays: disabled
texenv add: disabled
compressed textures: disabled
compressed lightmaps: disabled
texture compression method: None
anisotropic filtering: disabled
Initializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----

------- sound initialization -------
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
-1 stereo
0 samples
0 samplebits
0 submission_chunk
0 speed
0x0 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
------------------------------------

--- ambient sound initialization ---
Sound memory manager started
Feedback devices:
UI menu load time = 320 milli seconds
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:Windowssystem32opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode -1: 1366 768 FS
...using colorsbits of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...created window@0,0 (1366x768)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...125 PFDs found
...hardware acceleration found
...PIXELFORMAT 9 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc available
...GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc available
...no tc preference specified
.....using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
...using GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic available
...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
...Using GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
...using WGL_EXT_swap_control
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
...using GL_EXT_point_parameters

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce 310M/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 3.3.0
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_gpu_program4_1 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_transform_feedback2 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 8192
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 4

PIXELFORMAT: color(32-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(8-bits)
MODE: -1, 1366 x 768 fullscreen hz:60
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU: Intel Pentium IV
rendering primitives: single glDrawElements
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
picmip: 1
texture bits: 32
lightmap texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: enabled
compressed lightmaps: disabled
texture compression method: GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
anisotropic filtering: enabled
Initializing Shaders
Feedback devices:
UI menu load time = 700 milli seconds
SetDeviceGammaRamp failed.
Loading game "quik"...
------ Server Initialization ------
JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002
Server: kejim_post
RE_Shutdown( 0 )
Initializing Shaders
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: base
gamedate: May 3 2002
Parsing ext_data/NPCs.cfg
------ ICARUS Initialization ------
ICARUS version : 1.33
-----------------------------------
Couldn't find image for shader [NoMaterial]
2 teams with 4 entities
Done.
----- R_Init -----
Initializing Shaders
Feedback devices:
UI menu load time = 25 milli seconds
Couldn't find image for shader [nomaterial]
Parsing menu file:ui/hud.menu
UI menu load time = 1 milli seconds
AS_ParseFile: Loaded 13 of 194 ambient set(s)
...loaded 14235 faces, 1036 meshes, 9 trisurfs, 0 flares
Couldn't find image for shader gfx/2d/crosshairj
Com_sprintf: overflow of 128 in 128
Com_sprintf: overflow of 128 in 128
CL_InitCGame: 14.87 seconds
6 msec to draw all images
Com_TouchMemory: 74271963 bytes, 1 msec
Obtained E11-Blaster Rifle
Obtained Supply Key
Obtained BioTech Bacta Canister
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
----- Server Shutdown -----
==== ShutdownGame ====
... ICARUS_Shutdown
... Reference Tags Cleared
... Navigation Data Cleared
... Ghoul2 Models Shutdown
---------------------------
Z_Free(): Corrupt zone tail!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 21:45 

Stumbled across this thread when a friend asked about this problem. I found that the set mode part of the cfg mod should be left at 6. The fix that states set it to -1 caused the crash as you blow open the doors and get off the turret. Not sure if this helps anymore as its been 6 months since last thread , but for people finding this through google (as game was recently on steam sale) , i hope this helps =D

Post subject: Added a 16:9
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 04:53 

Added a 16:9 screenshot

NOTICE the yellow sky

Dont ask me why its yellow

maybe drivers its an old game

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 15:43 

I've found the solution for crashes when quicksave or exit to menu!!!

Edit jk2config.cfg as was mentioned earlier for WS support, but in the parameter [seta r_customwidth "1366"] change the last 6 to 0, so the resolution would be as follows [seta r_customwidth "1360"] [seta r_customheight "768"]. It works great for my native 1366x768 resolution, only white solid screen for some period during mission loading or reloading (hit enter and just wait a little) :thumbup:

Here's my config:

// generated by Star Wars Jedi Outcast, do not modify
unbindall
bind SHIFT "+speed"
bind TAB "datapad"
bind ENTER "+use"
bind F1 "force_throw"
bind F2 "force_pull"
bind F3 "force_speed"
bind F4 "force_heal"
bind SPACE "+altattack"
bind - "weapon 0"