Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2005, 03:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: C
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: C
Multi-monitor Grade: C
4k Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - Star Wars: Republic Commando

Star Wars: Republic Commando is a first-person shooter Star Wars video game, released on March 4, 2005. The game uses Epic Games' Unreal Engine and features some gameplay elements that resemble features in other first-person shooters, including Metroid Prime, Halo, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
The Heads-Up Display (HUD) in the game resembles the Metroid Prime helmet display. The context-based squad order system is similar to the Rainbow Six games. The usage of health and recharging shields, as well as the general combat gameplay, resemble styles seen in Halo 1. An unusual feature is that blood, or any fluid from a dead enemy that will splash onto the helmet, can slightly affect vision until an energy-based "windshield wiper" cleans it off.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by czarman on 24 May 2016, 13:16, edited 11 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2005, 05:42 

under

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

WindowedViewportX=1680
WindowedViewportY=1050
FullscreenViewportX=1680
FullscreenViewportY=1050

is all i needed to change

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2005, 07:31 

Now that's more like it! :)

I was making changes to the wrong .ini file.
Went to the Star Wars Republic Commando DemoGameDataSave folder and changed that .ini file and it all worked out!

This looks/plays a lot better at 1280 x 800.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2005, 02:52 
Founder
Founder

FOV Discussion Thread

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1090

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 11:25 

FOV can be changed with much the same process as Deus Ex Invisible War (also a UE2 game), the file to edit is named a little differently, Engine.u instead of Engine.d2u. Use a hex editor and search for the default FOV value (85.0 float) and replace with desired fov. This needs to be done six times for each occurrence.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 20:21 

I can confirm what ImperialCommando stated above. It does, in fact, work. I noticed that there were a total of eight instances of AA 42, not six. I don't know if this is a difference in the way that Republic Commmando was written or not, but I replaced all eight instances with no problems. The information is below. I am writing it in such a way so as to make it ready to be used on the main page by the admins when this ultimately gets approved.
As I am a new member, where do I upload screenshots to? Do I need to self-host and link, or does WSGF have its own upload server?

Thanks for your help. Now, the part you're all waiting for:

Open the engine.u file with a hex editor. This is located by default in one of two locations depending upon your OS. In 32-bit OSs, C:Program FilesLucasArtsStar Wars Republic CommandoGameDataSystem; in 64-bit OSs, C:Program Files (x86)LucasArtsStar Wars Republic CommandoGameDataSystem. Search for the following hex values: 00 00 AA 42. There will be eight instances. Each instance will need to be replaced with the value of your desired FOV.
The default value for Republic Commando is 85 degrees.

For a 4:3 resolution:
Change "AA" to "B4"
This will give you a 90° FOV. This is a more standard 4:3 FOV.

For a 16:10 resolution:
Change "AA" to "CC"
This will give you a 102° FOV.

For a 15:9 resolution:
Change "AA" to "D4"
This will give you a 106° FOV.

For a 16:9 resolution:
Change "AA" to "E3"
This will give you a 113.5° FOV.

For a 21:9 resolution (i.e. 2560x1080):
Change "AA 42" to "02 43"
This will give you a 130° FOV.
I did not have a formula to accurately figure out the correct value for a 2.37:1 aspect ratio. I just eyeballed it based upon the change I saw between all the other aspect ratios. If anyone can definitively find the correct FOV, or at least tell me how to find it, I would be most appreciative.

The following resolutions I have tested:

4:3
1280x960

16:10
1680x1050

15:9
1280x768

16:9
1600x900
1920x1080

21:9
1920x810 (windowed resolution)

A note on 21:9 resolutions. For those who aren't aware, 21:9 is a 2.33:1 (technically, two-and-one-third to one) aspect ratio. Resolutions like 2560x1080, however, have a 2.37:1 aspect ratio. In my work on this project I have used the 2.37:1 aspect ratio for 21:9 resolutions.

I have not tested any EyeFinity/surround resolutions/aspect ratios. I do not know if there are any surround-related issues like what Deus Ex: Invisible War experiences, nor do I have any advice on how to remedy them other than what has been stated over on that game's detailed report thread.
I'm pretty sure any common or sub-surround resolution will work fine.

Also, Widescreen Game Fixer recently added support for Republic Commando. The one problem it has though, due to the method of the change, is that your weapon remains in the aim position even though you are no longer aiming. This is remedied by changing your weapon. Note that this does not occur when editing the values in the engine.u file directly.

Values are based upon those used for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Hope you all this useful. Many thanks goes to ImperialCommando for pointing the method out to make this a reality.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 04:52 

I just edited the detailed report with the updated widescreen method. This method finally makes Republic Commando have properly functioning widescreen as the FoV is now correct.

Now we just need some Multi-Monitor and 2560x1080 21:9 testing to fill out the DR. A note about MM -- the HUD will probably be grotesque as it stretches.

Hope everyone enjoys!

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 13:19 
Insiders
Insiders

I created a NEW DR based on this great MOD Star Wars Republic Commando Fix --> http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-rep ... phics-fix1

Change some FOV and resolution Files for Ultra-Widescreen & Eyefinity / Surround