Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 11:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WSGF, not TH2GoF!
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 00:32 

I was excited when I saw that you guys had a YouTube channel, and was hoping to see some video reviews of games on regular wide screen panels, but it turned out to just be more TH2Go. 8 of it's 13 videos are about the TH2Go. If I had just stumbled upon some of the videos, I would have thought they were made by Matrox.

A picture TH2Go has appeared on the left side of my screen here since I joined 2 years ago. Why haven't new wide screen monitors been featured there? And as I recall, a link to PattyTheWack's review of the the TH2Go appeared there for about a year as well. And now, as I type this, I'm looking at a link to a review of the digital edition, under nether the bottom navigation bar.

If you are being paid to have ads of the TH2Go on here, that's fine. I have an adblocker. But If it is the case that Matrox is paying you guys, I don't want to be told that what I'm seeing is a review.

Post subject: Re: WSGF, not TH2GoF!
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 10:35 

I was excited when I saw that you guys had a YouTube channel, and was hoping to see some video reviews of games on regular wide screen panels, but it turned out to just be more TH2Go. 8 of it's 13 videos are about the TH2Go. If I had just stumbled upon some of the videos, I would have thought they were made by Matrox.

A picture TH2Go has appeared on the left side of my screen here since I joined 2 years ago. Why haven't new wide screen monitors been featured there? And as I recall, a link to PattyTheWack's review of the the TH2Go appeared there for about a year as well. And now, as I type this, I'm looking at a link to a review of the digital edition, under nether the bottom navigation bar.

If you are being paid to have ads of the TH2Go on here, that's fine. I have an adblocker. But If it is the case that Matrox is paying you guys, I don't want to be told that what I'm seeing is a review.

AFAIK, Matrox is a sponsor, yes, but they only provide demo units of the TH2G and DTH2G, and do not contribute financially to the website. The TH2Go is what we're all staring at waiting to explode onto the market, it takes widescreen to the extreme, and you know us, we're all about the widescreen. If I'm wrong about the financial compensation, somebody please step up and tell me i'm wrong and i'll shut the hell up.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 21:07 

I am just a member and I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. Is it possible that Matrox is more than just a sponsor? yes, I guess so, everything is possible, it could be Nintendo too.

But, I have never seen anyone trying to shove TH2Go or any other product of Matrox into anyone. I have never read anything that would suggest to me that this forum and site are here to promote Matrox and its products.
If this is really a Matrox site created or owned for the above reason, then I think Matrox has failed, or that Matrox is the only company with a PR/market department that really cares for the customers to buy anything they want and perhaps even the TH2Go.

In other words, I don't care if there is indeed something going on as long as I continue to see the people here free to talk about anything related to WS.

TH2Go is not a new or old wide screen monitor(s), at least as far as I know.

As for reviews, have you checked the reviews section in the forum? There are MANY reviews there.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 22:10 
Editors
Editors

Hey.

I'd be quite happy for more "normal" widescreen video reviews to be done, but that ain't gonna be by me, as I just don't have time. So there we are. I could see why you would complain if all the reviews were TH, but they aren't... ;)

On the Matrox and TH front... we don't get sent widescreen monitors for review, so we can't really advertise "WSGF review of..." but we have been sent TH2G and TH2G(DE) for review, so those we can do.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 01:13 
Founder
Founder

Matrox has sponsored the site in the past, but they no longer provide $$$ to us. Matrox shut down their TH2Go forums, so we are now the major place for TH2Go discussions.

The TH2Go pic on the left is let catch people's eye on where to find TH2Go info. We've never featured different monitors on the site. Some reasons are listed below. I am working on a new format for the Wiki home page that would highlight user reviews and detailed reports.

The link at the bottom, and it is my review. There are only two paid-for ads currently on the site - Scan & Mr. Rebates. NewEgg is an affiliate link, where if you buy I get a few pennies. The review banner fills an empty space. Maybe I should replace it with an "advertise here" banner.

Matrox did supply the review unit, but I don't see that as "corrupting" my review.

I really only started the YouTube account to have a place to host the videos and gimme bandwidth relief. I added the Wacom videos after the TH2Go videos were up. I don't see myself doing any monitor reviews, as we're not big enough for hardware manufacturers to give us hardware. And, I don't have the time (I have a day job, and the WSGF is a hobby that barely pays for itself) or testbed equipment to do a review that would compete with sites like AnandTech.

I would like to have have more WS and TH2Go gameplay videos to put on the YouTube site. I have my rigs set up, and I'm more interested in games. And, I just recently got my TH2Go rig set up, so I'm all excited about it. But, that's just me. There are plenty of other sites with technical and in-depth monitor reviews. I don't see me being able to compete with those folks.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed with our YouTube Channel. I thought the descriptions of the videos was pretty transparent and straight-forward. If you've got gameplay videos that highlight the improvements in WS or TH2Go, we'd be happy to include them and help make you famous.

I'm also sorry that this disappointment pointed you in the direction of some conspiracy theory of Matrox paying us off. Every review that we've done, where the manufacturer gave us the equipment, we've openly stated so. I have nothing to hide by saying, "This company gave me Product X to do a review. I get to keep it when I'm done, and this is my honest opinion." I felt my review of the TH2Go was honest and pointed out a number of shortcomings.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 09:02 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, I was really happy when Wacom send us that tablet and you asked me to do a review about it but if it sucked I wouldn't have hesitated for a moment to reflect that in my review. It's just that it's such a nice device. :P :lol: