Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I want to get larger!
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 21:03 

Hi guys,
I've been a console gamer for quite a while and I'm now pretty soon switching to PC.

I've read quite a bit and started to discover about triple-screen, 21:9 and other nice ways to enlarge the view and ameliorate the immersion.

I would love to get into triple-screen because it seems to be the most impressive but it sounds really power hungry...

I just discovered the 21:9 format (with a new curved model by LG soon :P ) but i'm afraid that it will look a bit squeezed compared to the triple-screen but then it seems much easier/cheaper to setup...

Difficult choice...

P.S.: Is it possible to have a triple-screen with "good quality" settings and 60gps with an ATI R9 290X?

Thanks and see you around!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 23:27 
Editors
Editors

that totally depends on the game, but if you go for 2xAA orFXAA or similar not as power hungry Anti Aliasing and settle with High insteal of Ultra quality Preset you can get 5760x1080 running on most games with 50-60 FPS

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 23:40 
Administrators
Administrators

Hi and welcome! I hope you get the answers you're after.
:welcome

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 00:15 

Haldi wrote:
that totally depends on the game, but if you go for 2xAA orFXAA or similar not as power hungry Anti Aliasing and settle with High insteal of Ultra quality Preset you can get 5760x1080 running on most games with 50-60 FPS

That good to hear! :thumbup:
Which graphic card do you recommend for running 60fps 5760x1080 on most games?
Should one R9 290X do the job? I'm a bit afraid of double GPU with all the incompabilities...

I've seen quite some images of the FOV offered by a triple-screen but I never had the chance to experience it, how would you describe it? Is it that much better or just nice now and then like 3D?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 01:02 
Editors
Editors

I'm running 290 Crossfire in 5760x1080 and sometimes I do have Problems reaching 60FPS if I crank up all the details to the max.

Eyefinity is more like an enhancement. The game just feels better when you have a lot of peripheral vision. You don't even look directly at the side monitors, they're just there to make it better!
After you're used to it it just feels wrong to play games on a single Monitor.^^
I'd really recommend you'd check it out somewhere at a convention if you get the chance.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 11:31 

Haldi wrote:
I'm running 290 Crossfire in 5760x1080 and sometimes I do have Problems reaching 60FPS if I crank up all the details to the max.

Wow! Two 290 in Crossfire is already quite beefy! :rockout:
I've heard several times about annoying micro-stutters when playing in Crossfire (a bit less in SLI apparently), do you have this problem?

The triple-screen definitely looks promising but I feel like it's still quite a early adopter thing and I should maybe wait a bit more until new cards come out and make it possible with only one strong GPU... It's clearly more expensive than I first thought.
I should also clearly check out for a convention next to my place to try it by myself. :onethumb:

My hope is that with the Oculus, the 21:9 format and the 4K coming, we'll soon have optimized games and hardware that permits to profit from all that without needing a personal nuclear power plant! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2014, 22:49 
Editors
Editors

Microstuttering was a problem for 7970 cards before the wonder driver! Never 'really' happened on the 290 cards because they have a different Crossfire mode (you don't need a cf bridge anymore)

If you're looking for a single card and high details the you should get a 780Ti and Watercooling and Overstock the card as hard as possible!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 01:49 

Thanks a lot for all those helpful infos Haldi, i will try to see a triple-screen setup in action and a 21:9 and take a decision (ratio immersion/money :doh: ).

Count me in pretty soon!